When Summer Ends - Chapter 1

Start from the beginning

He grinned. “Yeah, my views pretty good too,” he flirted, looking me over slowly. I grinned and leant back slightly so he could get a view of the bottom of my dress. It was pretty short, not my usual type of dress at all, but I thought I would go for something different tonight.

“Hey can we get some service down here? We’ve been waiting ten minutes,” some guy shouted, waving his hard around angrily.

The barman looked at me apologetically. “I’ll be right back.” He walked off to serve the angry looking guy. I couldn’t stop myself from glancing at his ass again. It certainly was a pleasant view, I wasn’t joking.

After serving Mr Angry, he came back to me. “So, have you decided what you want?” he asked, running a hand through his tousled hair.

“Um, yeah. Can I get a rum and coke?” I asked, trying to think about what Amy would want. He poured the drink and put it down on the counter in front of me before smiling and walking off to serve some other people. I watched him, confused. How much was the drink? He’d walked off before I paid for it. “Hey, you didn’t charge me,” I called to his back.

“It’s on me,” he replied, not looking at me. Around me, people continued to shout their orders at him while he struggled to keep up.

The guy next to me slammed his hand down on the bar and growled in frustration. “Seriously, how fucking long does it take to get a drink in this place?” he shouted angrily.

Wow, there’s going to be a riot soon. Why isn’t there someone else to help him run the bar? “Why are you on your own?” I shouted, waving to get the barman’s attention.

“We’re short tonight, so I’m on my own until Kane comes back from his break.” He shrugged, continuing to serve. Well that isn’t fair, people are being so rude to him as he serves them and it isn’t even his fault! I turned around and boosted myself up onto the bar, swinging my legs over the other side, and dropping down. “Hey! What the hell are you doing? Get back the other side, no customers are allowed back here!” he instructed, frowning at me angrily.

I waved my hand dismissively and turned to the nearest man that was shouting abuse. “What can I get you, handsome?” I asked, smiling sweetly.

“Four bottles of bud and four shots of vodka,” he answered, leaning in, smiling now.

“Sure.” I gave him a flirtatious smile before turning back to the barman who was staring at me, a shocked expression on his face. “Well don’t just stand there looking at me, get to serving!” I teased. “And how much does that order come to?” I asked, grabbing four beer bottles from the fridge behind me.

“Er, we have a special on bud with a shot for the next hour. It’s four bucks each, so sixteen bucks in total. Most people will be ordering that,” he stated, still looking at me shocked.

I nodded and grabbed four shot glasses from the side, looking around for the vodka. He pointed to the wall where the bottles where hanging. “Thanks.”

“Thanks for this. I’m Will, by the way,” he said, walking off to the next customer.

“Chloe.”

I finished serving the guy and took his money. I had no idea how to work the cash register though. I was standing there looking at it confused; it was one of those electronic ones with a touch screen. I had no idea what I was supposed to do to make it open. I winced and raised a tentative hand, deciding some button mashing was in order.

Just as I was about to start a long sequence of button pressing in the hope that something would happen, two arms shot around me from behind, making me jump. Will took hold of my hand, guiding it towards the screen. “Touch here,” he instructed, tapping my hand on the screen at the top right. A menu appeared with little boxes with the names of the drinks. I felt a blush creep up on my face at how close he was. His hard, toned body was pressed against my back; his breath blew across my cheek making me hot and bothered. “Just tap the drink you made. You made four happy hours,” he continued, tapping my hand on the ‘special offer’ icon four times. “Then click total. Then cash,” he stated, moving my hand to the right places. The cash drawer shot out at me quickly. His other arm went across my waist, pulling me back into his body so the drawer didn’t hit me in the stomach. “You might want to be careful, a pretty little thing like you could get hurt by the big bad register,” he whispered in my ear, making me shiver. Then he was gone, leaving me there, my whole body tingling, my mouth slightly open, and my breathing coming out in uneven gasps. My mind was whirling with thoughts of how hot he was.