Five

Again the night came, and Elise had put all the kids to bed. She made Mercedes sleep in the room with Freya, Michaela and Rula. Elalya was sleeping in the strange cupboard room.

She had looked at the pills closely, but couldn't cut them open, they seemed legitimate.

Goat Mom looked in the mirror and pulled her face back before letting it go. The wrinkles were dotted around her forehead and nose, some around her eyes. She was in her mid forties, wrinkles were necessary.

Maybe one pill couldn't hurt.

She placed it on her tongue and drank half a glass of water to get it down.

She looked at her face again, and sighed. This was the first time she's felt dysphoric in decades. 

A warm feeling quickly flowed up throughout Elise's body and she smiled drowsily.

She peered once more into the children's rooms.

Bethany, Damaris and Sophia were sound, and so were the others. 

She looked over at the cupboard door for a second before going over and peering in. The frosted window had the full moon shining through it, glowing the room slightly. Elalya stood in the room, peering into the cot, back to the door.

"Elalya?" She whispered, "It's time to go to bed."

"How old was I when you found me?"

Elise was silent, "We've talked about this-"

"How old." She kept staring into the cot, moving it slightly with her hand.

"You were all in an orphanage. I saw you first. I felt bad only getting you, so I adopted Bethany too. You two didn't get along so I got Rula and-"

"How. Old."

Elalya stopped swinging the cot.

"I don't remember... go to bed."

"My hair is too long. I want you to cut it."

"In the morning, go to sleep."

"Okay." She turned around and walked towards her bed, "Thanks Elise."

Elise smiled, a warm feeling collecting inside of her. The hallway felt tipsy as she stumbled through, hitting every wall. She collapsed onto her bed and slept almost instantly.

----

That was probably the best sleep she'd had in ages. 

But one of the worst mornings...

There was a crash downstairs and a few screams.

Elise shot up and took a glance at the wall clock, "SHIT!" She jumped out of bed and looked in the mirror. Her hair was covering most of her face and her details were blurry.

Her eyes were sore and everything was out of focus.

"CRAP!" There was another smash downstairs and yet more screams, giggling. Goat Mom ran her hands through her hair.

As she walked out from her room she saw that the cupboard was open, bags inside, dirty bags and boxes.

This is weird Elise thought.

There was another smash and goat mom bolted, "What the hell is happening here?" Her voice was so quiet. She coughed, there was something tickling her at the back of her throat.

The kids had been running about the house, knocking over vases and throwing plates.

"Stop!..." She whispered.

She counted the heads.

Bethany was standing on the counter dropping mugs onto the floor. Damaris and Sophia ran laps around the table dodging falling mugs. Freya and Mickey slid plates across the floor, throwing some at the walls. Mercedes jumped from chair to chair, and Elalya hid under the table.

Seven.