Part Eleven

Louna sipped at the last bit of coffee in her mug, reluctant to get up from where she and David were settled together on the outdoor bench. The morning was quiet and warming up slowly, the blanket perfectly tucked around them with her knees pressed into his lap as they both sat and read and drank coffee. The few days of vacation had been perfect, despite David still not feeling the best. He'd been a little better every day, but Louna could tell he needed another day or two of rest to feel one hundred percent. She hoped he'd give himself the time off back at home and not just push into the next project. She was learning he had a tendency to over-do things and not realize the consequences until later. His hindsight continued to baffle her, but she couldn't make him see the outcomes if he didn't want to.

She took her last drink of coffee and couldn't hold back a sigh, disappointed that she had to get up from their cozy place. She looked over at David as she felt him twirl her hair around his finger.

"Time for a refill yet?" he asked, his eyes amused.

"Yeah, but I don't want to move," she confessed.

He laughed, nodding. "I know... I finished fifteen minutes ago and kept hoping you'd drink faster."

She half smiled, shaking her head. "You should've said something."

"Nah," he said, putting his book aside next to his empty mug, "I didn't really want you to move either." He slipped his arms around her and they kissed lightly.

Louna relaxed into David's embrace, smiling against his lips as they continued to draw closer to one another. Her heart felt full when he finally pulled away, his gaze intense on her eyes. Somehow she could tell that this trip together had elevated their relationship. Things felt more substantial to her and she forced away the thought that it would be much harder to get through the days the next time David left for tour somewhere. They'd been a little spoiled over the summer because the dates had been few and she'd been able to tag along with him, or see him between the dates. She knew when he left for some other country it would test their relationship in a new way, but maybe by then they'd be better in tune to work through it.

"What's wrong?"

David's voice was quiet, and she knew he could read her moods now. She sighed and nestled her head on his shoulder. "I don't want you to leave," she murmured.

He frowned, stroking her hair back. "I know, but I only booked the cabin for three nights... we can come back another time."

She shook her head. "No... I said I don't want you to leave... like the next time you go on tour?" Her face fell at the thought and she closed her eyes, tightening her fingers around his shirt.

He rubbed her back lightly. "Don't even think about that right now... nothing's scheduled until October, and that's a one-off thing... so you shouldn't worry about it." He smiled as he tucked her hair back. "And the next time I am gone, you can get together with Laurence and we'll facetime for part of the show or something."

She smiled, lifting her head and meeting his eyes. "Promise?" she asked.

He nodded. "Absolutely. Seb and Lo figured all this out awhile ago... I'd be stupid not to learn a few things from him." He paused, then smiled. "Where do you think I got the postcard and guitar pick ideas?"

She pouted slightly, pushing against his chest. "God dammit, I thought that was something special just for me!"

"It is!" He instantly tried to reassure her. "Seb just gave me the idea... said he'd always thought about it, but Lo isn't into having a collection like that."