Part Seven

"Bye Seb!" Jeff and David both waved at the guitarist as he closed the car door and walked to the block of townhouses, lugging his suitcase up the steps as the car pulled away. David stifled a yawn as the car merged back into traffic and headed toward Jeff's house.

"You gonna make it home?" Jeff asked, his voice slightly teasing.

David smirked. "Probably not... I barely slept on that flight back." He shook his head. "Just thinking about too much shit."

The guitarist nodded and a few minutes of silence fell between them before he spoke again. "Going to see Louna soon?"

"Yeah, tomorrow." He half smiled. "Figured I wouldn't be good company tonight and she probably had plans anyway." He shrugged. "Maybe give me a chance to kick this jet lag a little."

"No shit," Jeff replied with a nod. "You'd think we'd all get used to it by now."

"I think mentally I am, but my body hates it every fucking time," he said, then covered another yawn.

Jeff laughed. "Exactly." They let the conversation lapse after that and fifteen minutes later the car pulled up at Jeff's condo. They shared tired smiles that made him laugh and shake his head. "Don't fall asleep and miss your stop, okay?"

David shrugged one shoulder. "Try not to," he replied.

He laughed again. "All right... beers next Friday?"

"For sure," he said, nodding. "Later, man."

"Later."

Jeff climbed out of the car, retrieved his suitcase, and a minute later the car was back on the road. It took David a few blocks to realize that the route the driver was taking to his apartment would drive almost right by Louna's neighborhood. He'd told her he wouldn't see her until the next day, because he was feeling pretty wrecked from all the travel, but since she was right on the way...

He pulled his phone from his pocket and sent the message without thinking. Are you home? He stared at the screen, hoping she'd answer quickly, and it would be the reply he wanted. The seconds dragged by and he chewed his lip, realizing just how much he wanted to see her. He couldn't wait for tomorrow because if he didn't see her tonight he wouldn't get any sleep.

Yeah. Aren't you on a plane???

He grinned. Not anymore!

"Hey, change of plans," he told the driver, leaning forward in the seat.

The guy met David's eyes just momentarily in the rearview mirror. "Sir, I'm meant to take you home."

"I know, but we're driving right past the place I want to go instead," he replied. "Think you can make an exception?"

The driver met his eyes again. "Right past the new location?"

"A couple blocks east off Notre Dame, on Saint Marguerite," he said. He could see the driver thinking about the request and then finally nodding.

"You'll get home from there?"

"Yeah, absolutely," he replied, happy the driver had complied. A few minutes later the car circled through the narrow one-way streets and David finally answered Louna's earlier message of Not anymore? Did you jump out?!

Maybe... check your front door:)

The car pulled to the curb as he pointed out the building and he had his seatbelt unbuckled and the door open as soon as the car stopped. He slung his backpack over his shoulders and handed the driver a twenty after he pulled the suitcase from the trunk. "Thank you," David told him. "Have a good one."