Preview; Try too hard

Blinking, she realised that the guy was staring at her expectantly, as if he knew what she was thinking and that the thoguhts were mostly about him and what she could be do-Lucy! She shook her head and braced herself before making eye contact with a bright smile. His eyes were chosolate brown. She could melt into those eyes.

Hell, I could melt into him. Lucy thought and then scolded herself again.

"You're up next." She managed to say, her voice calm and clear. He stood and came over to her office, stepping inside as she stepped out of the way. "Just take a seat on the chair in front of the desk." He listened, seating himself comfortably, placing his briefcase by his feet. Lucy closed the office door, starred at the handle for a moment, contemplating if she should lock the door or not, before deciding the latter would be best and went to sit down. "So," she glanced at the list of names on her desk. "Ryan Granger?"

"That's me." Ryan said, his baritone voice sending shivers along Lucy's spine.

"Mister Granger, do you know what we do here at Dillon & Delacroix industries?"

Ryan shook his head no, "one of my best mates told me that there was an IT postion open here so I took a chance."

"You aren't currently employed?" Keep him talking, Lucy told herself.

"I'm doing oddjobs here and there."

"And, hypothetically, if you were to get the job, what are your current living arrangements? Are you close to the area?"

"At the moment..." He trailed off, his cheeks darkening a little bit. "I'm currently staying at my mates place, he's letting me stay there until I find a job and can afford my own place." He grimaced. "Sorry, this is probably making you turn completely off, hereing about my bad financial state."

"No!" She hadn't meant to say it so loud. "I'm sorry, no. It doesn't matter your financial status to me, trust me. As long as you can get here on time without wasting your own time, is all I want to know. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to perform to your obvious standards." Oh Lord, kill me now.

Ryan raised an eyebrow and stared at Lucy, a smirk appearing on his lips, "my performance matters, huh?"

"Well, of course it matters! And from what I've read about you," you didn't read anything about him, she reminded herself. "you seem to have a great performance record. Other people always seem to try too hard to perform as well as I think you will."

"I don't think we're talking about my work performance anymore." Ryan grinned and Lucy bit her lip, at a loss of word, fearful that if she spoke, she'd make a complete fool of herself. "Should I give a demonstration of my performance?"

"By all means."