10. school skirts and interrogation

Oh Monica,

I knew. Do you really think I would have left you? I tried to watch out for you, I did. But it was a big house, and they're so secretive. You were too drunk, I wouldn't be surprised if you wouldn't have remembered, but I held your hair back when you threw up in the fountain. You kept saying you gave it to him, and you were laughing hysterically.

It took me a while to work out you were talking about your virginity.

We all make mistakes. It's a shame yours deserved the wrath of Arlington's very own monarchy.

I'm sorry.

Chloe

Nobody ever sat next to me in chemistry.

So it caught my attention when I noticed the lanky boy draped lazily over my desk as I walked into the class room on Tuesday morning.

"Chloe, good morning!" Jack said with unnecessary enthusiasm.

I took care to balance my coffee – which thankfully lacked the vodka this time – in my hands as I placed my books on the table. "Hi, Jack."

Jack's smile crept into a curious look. "I heard some interesting news this morning."

"Did you?" I asked, raising a brow. My attention darted to the desk he usually sat at with his friends on the other side of the laboratory.

"I did. Why didn't you tell me you were dating William Bishop?"

I was surprised. Though Arlington's rumor mill worked fast, I didn't realize it worked that fast. But then again, if anyone was the first to know gossip, it was Jack. "Who told you that?"

He rolled his eyes, like it was a redundant question. "Everyone. So are you denying it?"

Instead of replying I just gave him a bashful smile before popping the lid off of the take-away cup to add a sugar packet to my coffee. I liked it sweet.

"No way." His eyes widened, and he rested the palm of his hands on the table. "When did it happen? Why didn't you tell me?"

I shrugged. "Summer. I didn't think it was a big deal."

"Are you serious? Firstly, is he not your first boyfriend? And secondly, he's William-freaking-Bishop!"

"Please be quiet," I murmured. Though the attention was important, it felt weird coming from the chemistry class. It wasn't the same as the attention I'd receive by being on Will's arm in front of level two this afternoon. In front of level threes and fours, it felt silly to be in the spotlight.

"And weren't you in Hawaii all summer?" he hissed, his voice struggling to remain low.

"It was a long distance thing," I said quickly.