Chapter 19

Nandani's POV
I ran out of the building and sat in the park thinking about all that had happened in past. I took my diary out and started penning my feelings down.
"Everyday I pretend that nothing happened in my past, but the nights always reminded me. Everyday I hid everything behind my smile but the nights brought the tears. But today, the day itself was betraying me. I saw him, saw him after all these months. Every part of me wanted to hug and kiss him, tell him about everything just then I saw Mukti. I still hoped that it was not true, but it was. He moved on. I had already hurt him so much but I can't do this anymore. He deserves to be happy and with me there is only pain. But I can't see him with Mukti. It kills me thousand time just when he looks at her. There is only one option, I will quite the job and move to another place, where there is no chance of me to ever see him. But the orphanage? I don't know. I will talk to Ms Sulochana and I know she will understand. But I just can't understand one thing, if we are not meant to be then why do we keep meeting? That's why I hate you GOD. I hate you for snatching every beautiful thing in my life."

After thinking more about the situation, I head towards the orphanage when some people were leaving. I went to Ms Sulochana but she was in tears. This horrified me as all the children had surrounded her. She looked and me and hugged instantly.
"Nandi, they will take this orphanage away. Please do something, I cannot loss this place. It means everything to me. This is the only thing I have left after the death of my husband." I patted her back trying to calm her down. She handed me the papers that those men had given her.
I studied the papers and read everything. It was a legal notice, if the amount due was not cleared then the lease would be cancelled and the place would be given to someone else.

"Don't worry, I am there. Everything will be ok. This place is ours and will always be ours. Ok." I assured her that I wouldn't let anything wrong happen.
The kids took aunty in and I sat on the stairs outside the house trying to get hold of the situation. I needed 50000 rupees. I will get my salary in two days, so I still need to arrange 25000 cash. But if all my salary went into it then how will we arrange for food and other living costs? Just then my phone rang.
"Nandi, where are you. You know how angry the boss is? I managed the situation some how but you need to be here within an hour. Hello....are you even listening?" Harshad lashed out at me.
"Yeah, I am sorry. There was an emergency at the orphanage so I rushed out. But I will be there don't worry." I hung up the call.
This place had given me a lot, when everything I had was gone. I can't see this place being taken away. So what if he is there. We will be professional and work. He has moved on so then I shouldn't make a difference to him either. Just as he wasn't on my wedding day. After this problem is solved, I will think about leaving but now the orphanage needs me.

Manik's POV
I had asked for an assistant as I was new to this office and I needed help. Harshad told me it will take time but he offered me his assistant till he finds one for me. I agreed and asked her to come in my cabin so she could understand today's work description.

"Good morning sir. I am Harshad's assistant and now at your service." She spoke after entering my cabin but she sounded familiar. I knew who she was, she had to be her. My heart had stopped beating as I turned my chair to face her. It was her! She was shocked, and surprised to see me just as I was. What was she doing here? Isn't she supposed to be in Delhi and why is she working here when Aryaman has his own firm. The memories of our break up and her wedding flashed in front of me. I remember how broken I was to see her getting married. I hated her but somewhere deep down there were feeling for her. But when I saw her happy with him, those feeling also left my heart. And all I was left was with hatred.
Her eyes were expressing pain,which surprised me. The last time I saw her, she was having the time of her life. Even when she entered, her tone was of a happy one. Then why did it feel like she wanted to tell me something. Just then Mukti came in. She was surprised to see Nandani like that. But before anything could happen, she ran out of my cabin? What was happening? Anger rushed in me as I screamed for Harshad. "Harshad....Harshad...."
Harshad appeared in no time and I began with my queries. "What type of staff have you appointed. She just ran out of my cabin like this? Do you have any explanation for this?"
"Sir, I really don't know what happened. Nandi is not like this. In fact she is one of the best employees of this office. Please give her one chance to justify her actions."
My anger increased as I heard him call her Nandi. Why was he calling her names. "Stop calling her with the stupid pet names. Don't forget this is an office and not a place to get all friendly."
"Sir, her name is Nandi, Nandi Deshmuhk."
"You can leave," was all I could say. She had changed her name? But why? And what happened between her and Aryaman that she changed her name and is now here in Mumbai.