Chapter 18

The old lady made Nandani sit on the side and cared her back as she drank water. Despite all that had happened Nandani hadn't shred a tear. She had kept it all in. The old lady sensed that the girl was not in the right mind frame so she spoke. "Beta, I won't ask you about anything but this is not the right way to end your life. What will your loved ones feel?"
Nandani, with a straight face replied, "I lost all of them because of my mistake. Now what's the use of leaving for myself?"
"If you don't want to leave for yourself and want to give your life up, them give me your life." Nandani was puzzled by what she had said. She looked at her cluelessly.
"I work in an orphanage in Mumbai. Will you come with me and help me out. Those kids really need someone to look after them. I alone cannot manage all of them as I am now growing old." The lady clearly put her point.
Nandani though for a while. She knew that there was nothing left in Delhi for her so she gave in to the unknown lady's request. She had decided to shift to Mumbai and run away from all this sour and bitter memories of her life. As the lady said, Nandani had handed her life to Ms Sulochana and headed for a new life.

2 Months later....( Showing how Nandani's life was in these 2 months)
Nandani had made a life in the orphanage where she worked all day long. She had changed her name to Nandi Deshmukh to commence with her new life. There were never tears in her eyes but neither a smile on her face. The orphanage was under financial crises so she had decided to take up a job to earn something to help out pay the pending rent. Just when she had shifted a new company had established in Mumbai named M&N Group of Industries. She had found a job as a secretary for the manager in charge. The manager was in charge of everything as the main owners where going to come after few months. Her salary was  25000 rupees, where she just managed to pay for the bills and the rest she gave it to Ms Sulochana. One day on her way to the office she fainted and was rushed to a hospital, where she was diagnosed with depression. She consulted some doctors for few day as Ms Sulochana insisted but then quite going as she had no money left with her. The doctors had prescribed her with an emergency medicine. If she ever felt her emotions were over powering her then she should take it so she could control herself. However overdose or taking it too frequently was not good for her. The doctor had also advised her to be happy. For few days she kept her normal self when she realised the orphanage really needed help and if she continued sulking then her medical cost would definitely create a trouble for her. She started smiling and laughing again but only for others. When she was alone at nights, her memories haunted her. She failed to understand that to get out of depression she had to feel happy and not just force a smile on her face. The kids at the orphanage loved her. And she would spend all most all of her time with them once she returned from her job. Days were going on just like this when one day her past decides to re enter her life and became her present.

Nandani's POV
Today the main bosses were going go arrive and handle the business from here itself as they had just started the company. Once it was established they would move out and hand over the responsibilities to either the main manager or one of the partners would take up. I was at my desk completing the work handed by Harshad who was the manager I worked under. Almost at 10:00 am, three people, 2 men and 1 women walked into the office where all the staff greeted them. Perhaps they were the bosses. I tried to look at their faces but failed and again settled down for my work. After about an hour Harshad walked up to me and said, "Listen Nandi, the main boss wants an assistant and I cannot arrange for someone on such a short notice. So till we find an assistant for him, you will work for him. Hope that's fine with you."
"Yeah Harshad, why would there be any problem. But I am going to miss working under you." I pouted and said.
"Nautanki, now get going. He wants to see you now in the office. But be careful, don't joke around him a lot. He seem very grumpy types." Harshad chuckled as he finished.
"Don't worry Harshad, I can handle anyone." I quickly took the essentials and headed towards his cabin upstairs.

I knocked on the door and entered as he called me in. His voice did sound familiar but I ignored it and began speaking while the back of the his chair faced me. "Good morning sir. I am Harshad's assistant and now at your service." As he heard me speak, he turned to face me.

My life fell apart once again. The memories that I had buried somewhere in my heart were now crawling up. Everything flashed in front of my eyes. How we met, our beautiful memories together, our break up, my wedding, his finance, amms death, Chacha's words and how I almost killed myself. In the past two months I had always pretended that such things never happened in my life but today I had faced the reality. Weird sensations had started in my body, tears welling up in my eyes, my heart pumping faster then usual and a feeling of emptiness within. Just then Mukti entered his cabin without knocking.

"Manik, did you..." but she stopped as she saw me standing.

I couldn't take this any longer. I needed to have those medicine before I collapsed. The thought of Manik being in love with someone else killed me. Without wasting anymore time, I rushed out of the cabin and headed to my desk. I quickly dug into my bag and looked for the pills. Grabbing my water bottle, I quickly sipped in the pills. This was no longer a place for me to work at. I cannot face Manik like this everyday. I grabbed my bag and ran out of the office as I had had enough for today.