Prologue

Prologue

An Espeon circled a moonlit pool seeking answers from the water. It had been a long time since she had a foretelling vision, but tonight seemed different. She could feel that there was something wrong, yet she had no idea what it could be.

The night breeze stirred in the trees above. Small waves began to emanate from the center of the pool. The Espeon sat down and stared into now waving water. In the reflection she caught a white streak pass by the stars in the sky and suddenly she was pulled into to a different place.

Darkness encircled her. A dim light appeared at the far end of the darkness. Espeon slowly walked toward it.

"Oh, my...", She gasped as the strange light came into view,"The Pokégem!"

The Espeon stared into the small blue gem that was floating above a white pedestal. Espeon's mind filled with questions, but before she even had a chance to try to answer them herself, a loud noise sounded from behind her. She spun around to faintly make out a Zoroark and a Zorua running toward her. She closed her eyes and braced for the impact of the strong pokemon, but she felt nothing. When Espeon opened her eyes she turned around and saw the two pokemon next to the Pokégem. The Zoroark reached for the pouch that was attached to his waist. He unhooked his pouch and reached his hand toward the gem and grasped it in his claws. The Zoroark quickly stuffed it into his pouch and tied it to his waist one more.

"Come on!" he growled in a deep voice and headed toward the place he had first appeared.

"No! What are you doing!?", Espeon tried to chase after them but her paws seemed to be stuck to the ground.

Just as the two thieves disappeared, the scenery around Espeon did too. It changed into a forest that showed many signs of late fall.

"Where am I?" Espeon muttered to herself, while looking around. Songs of nature that she had never heard before rung though the air. Espeon shuttered as she remembered what she had just witnessed. The Pokégem being stolen.

"Who were those pokemon anyway, and why did they steal it?" she wondered.

The Pokégem was the power source of all the pokemon in the world. It had been created by the legends long ago. To keep it from being misused the legends sealed it deep underground and sacred pokemon were sworn to protect it. These pokemon were said to be as strong as legends themselves. If these sacred pokemon were protecting it, then how in the world did that Zoroark and Zorua get past them? Espeon knew that Zoroark were a master of illusions, but could a illusion really be that strong? These thoughts ran through Espeon's mind.

Since Espeon was deep in thought she didn't notice the loud stomping coming towards her. Only when she did notice, it was too late. She was frozen with fear when the loud noises came into view.
Two large capturers(humans) stood before her. They seemed to be walking a talking to one another. Then the world stopped in time and before her eyes, out of thin air a pink figure appeared.

"Mew?" she questioned.

Mew didn't respond. He only spoke,"Espeon. You may not yet understand what I have chosen to share with you, but I can tell you that there is a great evil coming and these two capturers will save the pokemon world".

Just as Mew finished his last words, everything around her dissolved into nothingness. Espeon found herself staring at the moon lit water once again. She stood up, dazed with shock and question.

"But how?" She questioned herself,"How can they be set do this task?"

An Umbreon slowly walked out from the shadow, on the other side of the pool.

"You know we do not make the choices in this world, Solare", the Umbreon said,"We just foretell them".

"I know", Solare replied closing her eyes and leaning against her mate,"But why did Mew choose them?"Solare looked up into the star-filled sky, sinking deep into thought.

Far from where the Umbreon and Espeon once sat, a muscular Mightyena paced in his cave, filled with anger. "There must be a way to get the Pokégem back", he slammed his front paw into the hard ground.

"I'm afraid, sir, that there isn't another way" spoke a small Sneasel,"Brune, their defenses are much too strong we wouldn't stand a chance. I've tried all my calculations, they are just simply too strong".

"There has to be a way, Shard! We both know what can happen if it's misused and we both that it's not good, but,"Brune repeated,"maybe we just need to look at this a different way".

"Um, sir, I don't know what you're getting at".

"If their forces are strong, then we'll just have to be stronger! Shard!"

Shard perked up his head,"Yes?"

"Let's go find us some recruits".

Brune turned towards other tunnels, on the opposite side of the cave, that lead off somewhere,"Journey! Thorn! Flare! Get down here imedantly!"

Journey, a Kirlia, Thorn, a Riolu, and Flare ,a Growlithe, were standing at the end of each tunnel. Thorn spoke first,"Why have we been called down sir?"

"Becuase, we are going to find and train some recruits. There has to be a way to break their defenses", Brune answered.

Shard was so excited this would be his first mission, assignment thing ever since he was brought here. Shard started to play back the memory in his head of when they found him.

Icy wind stirred through the air. A small just hatched Sneasel lied on a bed of soft pine needles. This Sneasel had been abandoned by it parents.
They were scared off when a Beartic had defeated them and claimed his territory. The parents had no choice but to leave their egg there.
A shadow moved over the Sneasel. It was Brune and his mate Jewel.

"This little one looks to be all alone", spoke Jewel.

The next thing Shard knew was that he was surrounded by love and hope and he knew he would be warmly welcomed here.

He had gotten his name from when they found him. He had had a shard of ice stuck to the side of his head, so fittingly they named him Shard.

A loud yowl brought Shard back from his thoughts.

"C' mon gang!" Brune shouted.

"Be safe my love", a slick-furred beautiful Mightyena named Jewel called.

"Don't worry, we will",Brune reassured her.

Shard grabbed his small backpack from a hook in the cave wall and neatly placed on his shoulders.

Brune turned and faced the entrance of the cave and they headed out into the unpredictable forest.