Chapter 8

I stepped out of the house and immediately, the thick tension doubled. Everybody was silent, calculating, apprehensive. There was no pup insight and even the number of women was significantly few yet the front of the house was still littered with people.

Cloud woke me up early today giving me time to prepare. I took the clothes out of the bags that he asked someone to buy for me yesterday and looked for something that would pass as both casual and formal. I settled in a white sleeveless top and tucked it in a beige skater skirt. I was surprised that they fit me perfectly. I frowned as I see my reflection in the mirror. I looked to casual for my liking so I picked up a black cardigan and wore it. I slipped on a pair of cream flats which also left me wondering, did he measure my foot?

I was done when he went in to fetch me. My wolf whimpered when I remembered how he didn’t even appear impressed by the way I looked. Yesterday was acceptable since I could bet I looked like death personified but right now I knew I looked better.

I could see the trees that line the clearing where the house sat and the thought of freedom entered my mind. So close.

As if he could read my thoughts, Cloud’s arm circled my waist, a silent warning, forcing me to tear my eyes from the trees and turn my attention back to the people in front of me.

It was almost funny how each and every one of them had the same guarded look in their eyes, their posture stiff as if they were anticipating an attack. They were threatened, I knew why.

I was there.

The biggest and first threat that had gotten into the safety of their home, brought by their own Alpha nonetheless.

Technically, I was their Luna even though I haven’t been claimed yet which meant they couldn’t post any threat to me. But even though I was sure no one would dare go for my neck, it didn’t mean they weren’t making me feel totally unwelcomed, completely unwanted.

I had been in much worse situation than this so nothing was really new. At least here no words were being thrown against me, and the people weren’t standing united to kick me out though I was acutely aware that that was what they wanted.

“Everyone,” Cloud’s voice boomed shattering the silence and getting all eyes on him. “Meet Kara, your Luna.”

His voice was flat, void of any emotion. It was like he was merely informing people about the weather and my wolf was hurt. She was disappointed. Once upon a time I was part of a pack and this was far from the way werewolves introduce their mates. They always had unconcealed happiness in their eyes, as if finally, they were complete; pride in their voices, like they thought they’ve got the best.

None of those materialized in him when he said who I was to his pack. I didn’t care but my wolf certainly did. It angered me that she was giving too much damn about this man that seemed to not care about her.

The only probable reason why he was letting me live and even introducing me as his Luna was his wolf. Alpha wolves, just like mine, were much stronger and their wants and desires were very hard to resist, much more their needs. And they needed their mates almost like their humans needed air to breathe. If it wasn’t for that fact, I would have risked my neck just to get out of this place. I knew that if I dared to escape, I would be on my own. My wolf would not even be fighting with me for she would be busy whimpering in pain. Stupid wolf.

“She’s a rogue, Alpha,” a high pitched tone stated.

“She’s my mate,” Cloud replied, again with his flat tone. I honestly wonder what was wrong with him. Couldn’t he formulate other answers not bringing up the fact that I was his mate?