Chapter 7

Before I could make myself move his lips were already on mine and immediately, all thoughts of moving away flew out of my head.

His lips were soft but firm. I wouldn’t say that they were sweet for they weren’t but I would be lying if I say that they weren’t the best thing that I’ve ever tasted.

He was kissing me with a passion I never knew existed. He was steering emotions inside me making me feel things I thought I was not capable of feeling. It was as if he had managed to find a switch inside me that I myself wasn’t aware of, then turned it on finally making me realize that I still had a piece of humanity left within this tough shell that I built around myself. It was like a boost of life injected in my system. It made me feel as if, finally, I was home.

Then all of a sudden he jerked away as if I burned him. He looked confused, lost even. He shook his head as if he was trying to shake off some thought.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered out of breath. “It shouldn’t have happened. I lost control on my wolf.”

As soon as those words were out he was also on his way out the door like the devil himself was after him.

For the second time tonight he had managed to render my thoughts invalid. A few moments passed and I was still in the same position he left me in. I still couldn’t manage to process any thought.

I walked mechanically towards the bed but stopped when I passed by the floor to ceiling mirror that was adorning the space between the doors of the walk-in closet and the bathroom.

I looked at the woman that was standing in front of me. She was the image of frozen perfection. Even without the usual signature clothes she still looked like she stepped out of the pages of some magazine. The flawless skin, the drool worthy body, the sensual mouth, the straight nose, everything screamed of nothing but unadulterated beauty. Everything was perfect except for her eyes. They were the color of the sky before a storm, beautiful, yes, but they were empty. They say the eyes were the windows to the soul. It’s true. One look into her eyes and one would see that no soul lies beneath.

I have never known this woman until seven years ago but now it felt as if I she was all that I knew. She was the result of all the actions that I couldn’t bring myself to regret despite all the consequences that I had to face. She was the reason why I was still breathing up to now.

In that short moment of temporary aberration, I thought I lost her. I felt a bitter smile crept on my lips and the woman mirrored my expression. Nothing about her smile looked angelic but the sight of her was heavenly.

“You should have known better Kara,” I whispered to her before turning away and walking straight towards the bed.

I climbed on it then buried myself beneath the covers. I felt numb, like the usual. But something was off. I couldn’t find the familiar comfort in the company of silence and solitude. It was as if my own version of peace was gone.

In that moment I knew, I may not be feeling anything like normal but things were not going to be the same ever again.

The fight and the injuries that I got were all taking their toll on my body. I succumb and fell in a dreamless sleep.

I woke up with a mouthwatering scent lingering in the air and immediately, my stomach reminded me that I haven’t eaten anything since this morning before the failed operation. I was beginning to fall in the same misery that ate me awhile ago so I sat up on the bed and looked at Cloud, who just entered the room with a tray in his hands to distract myself.

He put the tray on the bedside table and I almost moaned to the sight of steak and mashed potato. Beside the plate were tall glass of water and a fork and a knife laying atop a neatly folded lavender napkin.