Chapter 1: Before and After

* Xyn is pronounced ‘Zine’.

* Qylam is pronounced ‘Kylam’.

______________________________________________________________________

Chapter 1: Before and After – Wayne’s POV

My head throbbed as I opened my eyes, the light streaming through the blue curtains momentarily blinding me. I had been staring at the darkness of my eyelids for so long that the sudden light stung my sensitive green irises.

My limbs felt numb, like I had just been walking for days on end without stopping. The dull ache of my chest confused me for a second too, my thoughts trying to decipher why it felt like I had just been stabbed through the heart. It was then that everything came back to me.

The rush of quick, hazy pictures playing inside my head suddenly made me realise that I was in an unfamiliar bed, in an unfamiliar room, and that I wasn’t dead.

I wanted to sit up, inspect my surroundings and check on my supposed wound, but my body wouldn’t move, it felt too numb, like it wasn’t really my own. Nevertheless, it didn’t stop me wriggling around in the satin sheets to try and make my body wake up a little.

“It’s no use wiggling like that, your body will feel heavy for quite some time.”

I stopped all movement, my eyes widening at the voice that seemed to echo of the very walls of the room, encompassing my body so that I couldn’t decide where it actually came from. Seeing as my head was the only thing that seemed to be working properly, I titled it to the side so that I faced a window. The room was large, the bed seemingly the only thing in it, propped up against the far back wall, a simple black door facing it. The windows were large too, two of them on the walls either side of the bed.

“I’m down here,” the same voice called. It was a loud, deep voice, age and masculinity coating it with a certain roughness.

It took a lot of effort to try and look down to where I thought the voice came from, my neck clicking uncomfortably. Beside me stood a man, one that I failed to notice before. It was a very, very small man; his head barely reaching the edge of the bed. I blinked once, then again, and again, before opening my mouth to say something. “Who’re you?”

The man seemed fairly pleased with that, probably because I didn’t make some kind of comment on his size. “I’m Xyn, Master Reeson’s personal and most trusted Qylam,” he nodded, looking at me once before turning to walk away. “I’m also the one that healed you, so a thank you would be nice.”

“T-thank you?” I hastily replied. He didn’t seem like the type of person that liked to do things for others.

With one last look behind him he walked out of the door, another person walking in after he left. This time it was women, pretty and petite looking. She held a silver tray with blue patterns on it, her tiny figure adorned in a pretty white maids dress. “Oh!” the woman cried, her brown eyes widening in surprise at seeing me staring back at her curiously. She looked around her quickly before shuffling forwards and placing the tray on a solid oak table in the corner, yet again something I had failed to notice earlier. Again, she looked at me once, her manicured hands reaching in to the only pocket she had and bringing out a yellow piece of paper. Her cherry lips moved as she muttered something, my eyes still gazing at her curiously. Who was she?

Finally her mouth stopped moving. She rolled the yellow paper up into a neat scroll, walked over to the window closest to her and opened it, flinging the paper out of it. What the hell.

“Sorry about that,” she smiled. “Xyn should have told me you were awake immediately, the Master would love to speak with you soon. He’s been going out of his mind this past week, wondering when you’ll wake up. I think he’s taken quite a liking to you-“