Chapter Two--Drowning in Murky Despair

Chapter Two:

Drowning in Murky Despair

Zayn was in the attic, gathering up the only things he had.

What he had consisted of his blanket, about two outfits of shaggy clothes, his father's favorite couplings, and his bag to put everything in.

He gathered everything up, and took one last look at the place where he slept, and the place that he had done most of his reminiscing.

The young boy sighed heavily, and made his way down the large stairs. He walked into the kitchen, which was another place in the mansion where he spent a lot of time. He grabbed some food for the road and some water as well. He placed the items in his bag and then went into his mother's room.

Zayn knew that his mum kept a safe in the far corner of her giant closet. He knew this, because she made him take out its contents a few times to clean the inside of the safe. She always stood over him to ensure that he did not steal anything from within the safe.

The contents of the safe included, a couple hundred thousand dollars, her finest jewelry, and a key. Zayn did not know what the key opened, his mum never mentioned it to him, and he was always too scared to ask.

He grabbed about a thousand dollars, he did not want to take too much, he did not like the idea of stealing from his mother even though some of that money was probably his anyway. He also took the key, he was never really certain why he decided to take the key, but he did it out of instinct.

He put the safe back in its place and he made his way to the giant front door of the large home. He took one last long look at the place he had spent 5 years in, cleaning every inch of it every single day. He walked out of the house before he could change his mind.

He knew he needed to leave. It was for his own well being.

He stepped outside and was winded by the cold air that swept in from outside.

"Holy shit..." He said under his breath. He had forgotten how cold it got during his birth month. He couldn't remember the last time his mother allowed him to step foot outside their large home.

He stepped completely outside and closed the door behind him. He thought about it and he knew that the only reason his family would miss him would be because they wouldn't have anyone to do their chores or make their meals anymore. And that saddened the 18 year old.

He took one last, long, final look at the house he had suffered in for five years and began walking down some trail.

Zayn had no clue where he was going seeing as he had never stepped foot outside of the mansion. He just kept following signs that were telling him he was heading toward civilization.

At one point an old gentlemen rode past him on his bicycle and almost ran over his foot.

"Watch where you're going you prick!" said the old man as he strode past Zayn on his bike. The man's sudden outburst startled Zayn and he jumped backwards and heard a crushing sound from beneath him.

He turned around and looked down. Zayn had inadvertently stepped on a small snail, ending its life. Although a snail dying might not have meant anything to anyone else, it meant a great deal to Zayn because he valued all life and nature, even though he didn't ever see much of it. He would read about it in all of his father's books that he found in the basement.

Zayn could feel several tears forming in the corners of his eyes because of what the old man had made him do. "Oh Mr. Snail! I am so sorry for stepping on you! I didn't mean to. The old man made me do it because he yelled at me, he scared me!" Zayn had now begun to cry.