Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Beck was barking and Ernest Baron woke slowly. As soon as he put his feet over the edge of his bed, Beck was there greeting him. He barked again and then looked over to the door that led to the hallway. He got up and changed out of his pajamas and into his trousers and button up white shirt. He put a bow tie on neatly, seeing as it was Ivy’s favorite accessory.

 As he put his toast in the toaster, Beck barked again loudly. Mr. Baron looked over to him and saw him leering out the front window.

“Beck,” He said strongly. “Would you like some breakfast?” At these words, Beck hurried over and sat comfortably next to his food bowl. Mr. Baron took the food out of the pantry and scooped it into Beck’s old and used food bowl. He lifted the water bowl and filled that up as well.

After Mr. Baron’s toast had come up, he spread a small amount of butter on it. He put it on a plate and got a glass of milk on the side and went to sit down at his table.

As he did, a cloud outside shifted away from the sun, making the whole room brighter. At this, Mr. Baron smiled. He stared at his table, four chairs altogether, three of which had been vacated for more time than he was comfortable with. He ate his toast. He drank his milk and then decided to be done with breakfast. He picked up his things and then set them in the sink. He had noticed Back had started barking again, so he went to the window that Beck seemed to be infuriated with.

“What’s going on, old boy?” He said, patting his head lightly. Then he noticed two large moving trucks: One across the street and the other, next to Mr. Baron’s own house.

“Come on, Beck. Let’s go check this out.” He was surprised that the families were moving so early in the day.

Mr. Baron went outside and looked around. A few men were moving a large couch inside the house across the street. Next door, one man was trying to handle a large arm chair by himself. Mr. Baron hurried over and grabbed one side just before the chair fell over.

“Thanks.” Said a voice on the other side of the armchair.

“No problem.” Mr. Baron called back. They set it in a corner of the living room. The dark green color of the chair stood out beautifully next to the peaceful yellow wall. After setting the chair down, the man held out his hand to Mr. Baron, he gave him a firm but friendly shake. Which Mr. Baron returned with a smile.

“Jonathan Hemsworth. My wife and kids are going to be here later. I came here early with the movers to get everything settled in.” he said casually.

“Ernest Baron. I live next door. Pleased to meet you, welcome to the neighborhood.”

Jonathan nodded. “Thanks again for help with the armchair. The movers were getting a large bed upstairs and I thought I could handle it.”

“Anytime.” Replied Mr. Baron with a slight wave of his hand.

“We moved in with my friend Tom, he got a house across the street. He brought his kid and wife.”

“Great, I’ll greet them as well.” Mr. Baron said, looking across the street.

“See you around.” Said Jonathan as Mr. Baron walked across the street.

“You too,” he called back, looking over his shoulder.

 As Mr. Baron neared the end of the street, he saw a young boy with blonde hair come out of a truck, handing something that looked like a bed frame to who must have been his dad. As the boy’s father went into the house, the boy noticed Mr. Baron.

“Hi,” he said warmly. “I’m Harris.”

“Hello.” Replied Mr. Baron lightly. “My name is Ernest Baron. I live across the road.”