Chapter 19

There was some measure of satisfaction that Miranda Bailey always got from a good car accident. Or at least there had been, once upon a time. Before her husband had almost been killed, car accidents had made her feel in her element. After Tucker nearly died though, she could hardly stomach them. And they occurred all too frequently. It only added to the general exhaustion she felt constantly these days. But she had to force that from her mind now, because on a night like tonight, there would be no shortage of car accidents.

And she was right; all evening there had been a steady stream of them coming in along with doctors who were testy that they had to return on their nights off. When Mark Sloan and Derek Shepherd had come in, Bailey rolled her eyes and walked over to them.

"For the last time, let it go, Derek," Mark was saying.

"Why won't you tell me who it is?" Derek replied, his curiosity present in his voice.

"What does it matter? What satisfaction will you have from knowing?"

"Why are you being so evasive?" Derek asked with a laugh.

"Who, me?" Mark replied innocently.

Bailey had enough. "Dr. Shepherd, Dr. Sloan. So nice of you to join us this evening."

"What do you mean?" Derek grumbled. "I was here less than an hour ago."

Bailey lifted an eyebrow. "Your point being? I have been here for forty-five hours straight."

"No point," Derek hastily said.

Mark smirked. Derek never knew when to be quiet in front of Bailey. "You paged us, Dr. Bailey?"

She nodded and looked at Mark. "We have a major accident that just came in. Some fool got drunk and ran a red light. His daughter was in the car and she burned her arm when the airbag went off. It's pretty bad. Trauma 3," Bailey said, as she turned to Derek. "The father has a concussion, with blurred vision and speech impairment. I need you to check him out."

"Because of the alcohol?" Derek asked.

Bailey put her hands on her hips. "You think I don't know the difference between a drunken man and a man with speech impairment?"

Derek swallowed. "Of course not, Dr. Bailey."

Mark choked back a laugh, and then winked at Derek as he walked away. "See you later."

"I still want to know!" Derek yelled, but Mark waved him off as he left.

"Trauma 2," Bailey said to Derek. She then paused.

Derek nodded, and started muttering to himself, "I will find out who he is living with."

Bailey paused. "Did you just say Dr. Sloan is living with someone?"

"Yeah, and he won't tell me who," Derek said as he walked over to the trauma room with Bailey on his heels.

She shook her head. "You mean you don't know?"

"No, I don't—" He paused. "Do you mean you know?"

"Course I do," Bailey said. "I know everything that goes on in this hospital."

"I'll remember that," Derek said. "So who is it? That Derm Nurse who started here a couple months ago?"

The look on her face could only be described as incredulous disbelief. "You know, for a brain surgeon you don't pay attention to details."

"What does that mean?" Derek asked.

Bailey opened her mouth to answer when her pager went off. "Gotta go," She muttered.