Chapter 10

After a short drive, Mark and Lexie arrived at the high-rise apartments that housed their new home. Mark parked his Porsche in the underground parking structure and they took the elevator for residents to the nineteenth floor. Lexie could hardly contain her excitement at seeing, for the first time, the place that was to be her new home. Mark had been utterly mysterious when she had asked him what the new apartment looked like. All he would say was that it was a "Lexie Apartment", whatever that meant.

When the elevator arrived on the floor, Mark led Lexie down a brightly lit hallway which had plush carpeting on the floor, as well as sconces on the wall. There were very few doors, causing Lexie to suspect that this would be a big apartment which he was leading her to.

As they approached the door, Mark commented, "Why don't you do the honors?

Lexie smiled at him and pulled out her key. When she had unlocked the door, she quickly typed in the code on the keypad. One of the benefits of an eidetic memory was that she remembered what it was without ever looking more than once at the note which Mark had given her.

Once the alarm was disabled, Lexie stepped into the apartment and Mark flipped on the light. She almost had to catch her breath. The apartment was large, with windows taking up the whole back wall. There was a large kitchen to her right, behind a set of double doors, with state of the art appliances, and double doors on either side of the living room.

"The right side leads to a large office and library," Mark explained, "And those doors over there lead to our bedroom."

Lexie was entranced, but not with the apartment itself, with the feel of it. Mark had been right. This was a "Lexie Apartment." The walls were painted a soft peach color, and the kitchen had rose colored granite. When she walked over to the bedroom, she discovered a wrought iron balcony and a marble bathroom with both a large shower and a Jacuzzi tub. There was little in the way of furniture, but what there was would have been exactly what Lexie would have picked out if she had all the choices in the world. In their bedroom was a sleigh bed which Lexie suspected was a higher end version of the one she had been admiring in her Restoration Hardware catalog. There was also a plush sofa with big fat pillows in the living room along with a chaise lounge. Lexie realized that when Mark had said "Lexie Apartment," what he meant was that this was an apartment for her.

Standing in the middle of the large bedroom, Lexie turned to Mark who was hovering in the doorway. "Why did you do this?" Lexie asked.

Mark frowned. "What do you mean?"

"I mean…it's perfect."

Mark breathed a sigh of relief.

"This is just what I would have chosen." She looked at him with confusion in her eyes. "But is it what you want?"

Mark smiled softly at her. "I want you, Lex. The rest of it doesn't matter to me. I want you to be as happy here as possible."

Lexie smiled widely. She then tugged him away from the doorframe, and wrapped her arms around his waist. "Thank you, for everything. I couldn't adore it more," She said with a smile.

"Don't get too attached to it," Mark warned.

"Why?" Lexie asked.

"Cause we are only going to live here for a few months until our other apartment is finished."

Lexie sighed. "I should have known it was too good to be true. Is our other apartment smaller?"

Mark smirked. "Not exactly."

"It's bigger?" Lexie asked, finding that idea to be impossible.

"Yep," Mark said, kissing her upturned face. "I would say so."