Near-Death Experiences Chapter1

Make sure you read the prolouge first!

Chapter One-

He says that I screamed, but I don't remember that. Things had gone so fast. What I do remember, though, I wish I didn't.

*flashback*

Then the masked man lunged towards me so fast that I barely had time to think. His eyes glinted with adrenaline and there was an evil smile playing at the corners of his lips.

What could I do?

I had nothing to defend myself with.

There was no place to run.

Besides that the man could easily outrun me.

Every time the man took a step towards me, I took a step backwards. Every now and again I'd quickly glance sideways to find somewhere to run to, but I just kept getting closer and closer to being cornered. Then I heard the noise. A door opening and frantic footsteps running toward me.

Panic tinted the murderer's eyes and he raised the knife to take me down before me made a run for it. I reached my arms up to shield my face from the blow. 'Hurry.' I thought. If I was going to survive this the people who were now here had to save me and they had to save me fast.

Just as the man began putting his plan into action something from behind him knocked the knife from his grasp and it catapulted through the air. It only missed my shoulder by a fraction of a centimeter. I let out a gasp and backed up the rest of the way into the wall.

Two men chased after the masked figure, but he was too fast. They knew they couldn't catch him. He ran like dynamite.

"You call the police. I'm going to make sure the girl's alright." The less masculine of the two said. My other rescuer nodded and ran out the door.

"Are you okay?" he asked me once he got closer. I didn't respond. "Okay... um, where do you live. I'll drive you home."

Still I was in such a state of shock that I couldn't respond.

"Alright then." He slid down to sit by me. I let out a stressful sigh and glanced in his direction. The boy was staring at me.

"What?" I sneered. He looked taken aback and immediately looked away.

"So you're talking now?" He questioned while he stared at his hands.

"I might as well, right? What's it to you if I'm okay or not? You don't even know me."

Usually I wasn't so harsh, but after a while of living in Chicago you learned how to rough it. Things were tough all over and it was every man for himself. You could trust nobody and nobody could trust you. And that was okay.

"By the way, my name's Blake." He told me and held out a hand to help me up.

"It's Jordin." I informed him as I allowed him to pull me up. I don't know what it was about that moment, but something told me that I could trust this guy completely and one-hundred percent.

*end of flashback*

"Get out of my room!" I yelled at my sister Kayla. She didn't move. "I said, get out of my room!" Still didn't move. "That's it." I walked over and yelled down the staircase. "Mom! Kayla won't get out of my room!"

"I don't have time for this shit! Kayla get out of Jordin's room now! I have a meeting in a half an hour and if you two would stop fighting once in a while I might actually get there on time for a change." She screamed. Her voice echoed off the walls like it usually did when she was stressed out.

This sort of thing had been happening for as long as I could remember. Mom didn't care. Her greatest ambition was to live in a giant house on top of a giant hill. Well I guess that's not her ambition anymore considering that she'd already accomplished that. Now she just wanted a credit card without a limit.

My mom, or as I'm supposed her, Beckie, (her real name is Rebecca, but she thinks that it sounds too old-fashioned) is a real estate agent and she's been in and out of meetings since I was about four. She's real persuasive and can pretty much sell anything. She makes me call her Beckie because she says 'Mom' makes her sound old and dejected, since she doesn't have a husband.

Dad and her got a divorce about three years ago, when I was thirteen. With to crazy rich and greedy people like them marriage isn't anywhere near the top of the priority list. They fought a lot and it just wasn't working out like they had planned. Dad was in the House of Representatives and had his lawyer stuff all over mom's house files and mom her house files all over Dad's lawyer stuff.

"She told you to get out, Kayla." I told my younger sister sternly.

"Fine." She mumbled and trotted across the hall to her room. I examined the area that she'd been terrorizing to see if I could find anything out of place. My ipod was still laying on the dresser just as it had been before and I couldn't see any of my clothes or make up missing. I glanced behind my shoulder to make sure she hadn't figured out the combination to my safe again. It was still locked.

Even though I knew I was being ridiculous I scanned the walls to see if she'd tried to put up some sort of spy camera. Nope. Booby traps? That's a no go. Did she hack into my facebook or something? No, not that either. Wait a minute.

My cell phone wasn't where I'd left it.

I bit my lip in anger and sprinted into her room. "Kayla!" I roared. "Give me the damn phone back!"

Kayla ignored me and asked, "Who's Blake?"

I just looked at her wide-eyed. She couldn't know about him! My mind flashed back to the car ride home from the night I almost got killed.

*flashback*

"Where do you want me to drop you off?" Blake asked.

"I can just walk home from the gas station on main street."

"No. That's not safe. I have to take you to somewhere where he won't ever be able to find you. You have to hide." He told me.

"Haha, very funny." I was laughing. "Wait. You're serious?!"

Blake nodded and I just shook my head. There was no way a little incident like this was going to drive me away from my home.

"Give me one reason that I should leave. Just one."

"He's going to follow you until one day you'll let your guard slip just enough for him to get to you and finish you off."

"And how would you know that?" I asked him.

He hesitated before he spoke.

"Because that man-he's my father."

*end of flashback*

And that's why I hadn't spoken to Blake ever since.