Day 7

Lee took note of the fact that they were starting to run low on supplies. Their food and water was at least diminishing at a predictable rate, but they were low on fuel ever since Bob had to take out Betsy to handle the zombies that knocked over a part of the barricade the day before last. They could probably hold out for another few days if they scrimped, but not much longer than that.

Selena was now spending more time lying down than she was sitting or standing up. Her breaths were coming in shorter, shallower gasps, and she was often breaking out into cold sweats.

Diane and Father Karlberg were taking turns taking care of her, but it seemed like the rest of the group was slowly inching farther and farther away from her as each day passed on.

She didn't trust them. At night, when she could hardly sleep, she could hear whispers talking about her. What they should do with her. What should happen if she turned out to be contagious. What was to be done if she became one of them.

Selena didn't like any of those conversations.

The night before, when all of the voices had gone silent, Selena had an ugly thought.

They were probably going to kill her. Or maybe leave her for dead, which wasn't much of a better option.

She eyed the resources along the wall and estimated how much she could carry. She had to get out of there before they decided her fate for her!

Of what was left, she could probably take most of the water and food, and perhaps even a tank of gas if she was lucky enough to find a car.

But if she did that, then there would be hardly anything left for the rest of the group. But that wasn't her problem. They were going to off her anyway! Weren't they?

But... what if they weren't going to kill her? Then she'd be the one leaving them for dead. That... she couldn't do that. She would never allow herself to stoop that low. These people were kind to her. They let her in despite the risks. They shared their rations with her. They took care of her. They did far more than she could have ever asked them to do. She was ashamed of herself for even thinking about betraying them.

Selena rolled over and pushed the horrid thought out of her mind. She spent the rest of the night thinking about how she could possibly repay them.

When morning came, everything proceeded as normal. Diane was handing her a half bottle of water as Father changed her bandages again. Selena made a conscious effort not to look at the wound on her arm. She didn't want to know what it looked like. Her head was dizzy and her eyes were hot, so she gladly accepted the water. She finished it off in mere seconds, but even though she was still thirsty she didn't want to ask for more. They were already running low on supplies, and she didn't want to become any more of a burden than she already was.

She hated being sick. She hated being weak. She hated being useless.

But she especially hated being selfish.

Diane caught sight of the tumultuous feelings spinning around inside Selena's gaze. Her heart was moved for her. She didn't deserve any of this, and everyone in the group knew that. Just because fate had dealt her a bad hand didn't mean she deserved any worse treatment than anyone else.

Diane found herself drawing the girl in for a hug again. It was a habit of hers; she just really liked hugs. To her surprise, Selena melted into her arms rather than stiffen like she normally did. She could feel her body tremble as she softly cried into her shoulder, drenching her shirt with tears. Diane didn't care, though. The girl needed someone to hold her, to comfort her, and she gladly took up that role.

Father Karlberg, looking at the two women embracing each other, couldn't help but imagine Jesus touching the lepers, healing them both physically and spiritually.

He smiled to himself. This was God bringing good things from bad situations, he thought.