The Tory Maid

THE TORY MAID ***

Produced by Audrey Longhurst, Diane Monico, and the Project Gutenberg Online Distributed Proofreading Team at http://www.pgdp.net.

[Illustration]

The Tory Maid

By HERBERT BAIRD STIMPSON

New York Dodd, Mead and Company

[Illustration: (decorative borders)]

Copyright, 1898, by H. B. STIMPSON.

_To Rev. Dr. and Mrs. Hall Harrison this volume is affectionately inscribed by the Author_

CONTENTS

CHAPTER PAGE

I. WE START FOR THE WAR 1

II. WE MEET THE MAID 10

III. A FLASH OF STEEL 24

IV. THE RED COCKADE 34

V. SIR SQUIRE OF TORY DAMES 44

VI. A TALE IS TOLD 55

VII. THE DEFIANCE OF THE TORY 68

VIII. THE BLACK COCKADE 77

IX. THE RED TIDE OF BLOOD 89

X. THE HARRYING OF THE TORY 107

XI. THE COUNCIL OF SAFETY 118

XII. THE VETO OF A MAID 132

XIII. THE GREETING OF FAIR LIPS 146

XIV. THE RETURN OF THE TORY 156

XV. THE FLAG OF TRUCE 166

XVI. THE BALL OF MY LORD HOWE 176

XVII. AN EXCHANGE OF COURTESIES 187

XVIII. THE CROSSING OF SWORDS 196

XIX. THE SANDS OF MONMOUTH 206

XX. IN THE LINES OF THE ENEMY 222

XXI. THE PASSING OF YEARS 230

XXII. THE COMING OF THE MAID 238

The Tory Maid

CHAPTER I

WE START FOR THE WAR

I, James Frisby of Fairlee, in the county of Kent, on the eastern shore of what was known in my youth as the fair Province of Maryland, but now the proud State of that name, growing old in years, but hearty and hale withal, though the blood courses not through my veins as in the days of my youth, sit on the great porch of Fairlee watching the sails on the distant bay, where its gleaming waters meet the mouth of the creek that runs at the foot of Fairlee. A julep there is on the table beside me, flavoured with mint gathered by the hands of John Cotton early in the morning, while the dew was still upon it, from the finest bank in all Kent County.

So with these old friends around me, with the julep on my right hand and the paper before me, I sit on the great porch of Fairlee to write of the wild days of my youth, when I first drew my sword in the Great Cause. To write, before my hand becomes feeble and my eyes grow dim, of the strange things that I saw and the adventures that befell me, of the old Tory of the Braes, of the fair maid his daughter, and of the part they played in my life during the War of the Deliverance. To write so that those who come after me, as well as those who are growing up around my knees, may know the part their grandfather played in the stirring times that proclaimed the birth of a mighty nation.

The first year of the great struggle, ah, me! I was young then, and the wild blood was in my veins. I was broad of shoulder and long of limb, with a hand that gripped like steel and a seat in the saddle that was the envy of all that hard-riding country. I was hardy and skilled in all the outdoor sports and pastimes of my race and people, and being light in the saddle I often led the hardest riders and won from them the brush, while every creek for fifty miles up and down the broad Chesapeake, and even the farther shore as far as Baltimore, knew my canoe, and the High Sheriff himself was no finer shot than I.