Near-Death Experiences--Prolouge

Prolouge--

The second the clock struck twelve was the second my life changed forever.

I moved quickly through the surrounding crowd of people at the party. Everything was in sudden chaos and people ran frantically for the nearest exit.

I knew that my best move, in order to stay alive, was to run with them, but if I did that the masked man would just be left on the loose to take away more innocent lives.

So I stayed there.

So did he.

Then all at once everything began happening. The lights turned back on and I saw clearer what the masked figure looked like. He was tall and lean and dressed in all back. He was also a killer.

My thoughts were cut short when I saw him begin to run towards the bloody knife that had been left on the floor next to the body of the dead child. I knew the only thing I could do to stop him was to beat him at his own game. I had to get the knife before he did.

I lunged for the silver knife so the man wouldn't get it first. But I was a sliver of a second too late. 'Oh my God,' I thought. 'I'm going to die.'

As the clock struck twelve, the masked figure lurched towards me with the spear-like knife in his hand to kill me.