Chapter 9

“Welcome to our newest addition, Ingrid Charles.” Professor Shane smiled warmly at her. “You can borrow notes from Miss Goodwin later. All that is required of you is to take note of anything you find important.”

Ingrid nodded obediently as Professor Shane carried on with his lecture.

“Now, the Orcons still harboured a grudge against us since the Great Revolt when we became our own country two hundred years ago, believe it or not.” The professor clicked a button while pointing the remote at the lightboard. A picture flickered on the screen with the professor smiling brightly, an unfamiliar location in the background. “Before this war, I travelled to the capital state and by golly, they recognised me as a Lorcanian when I first spoke.” He shook his head, seemingly amused. “Some of them even noticed the different style of clothing I wore, even though it wasn’t too far off from what they considered fashionable.

“Arguably, this grudge is what caused the war we are in the middle of today.” Shane skipped to a photo of the country’s royal monarch, King Solomon Argent. “And it is due to the war that exams have been cancelled.”

An excited whisper burst across the classrooms, startling Ingrid. Being schooled at home, Ingrid had never been in a classroom with other pupils before. All the school lessons were privately done with her governess and every session had been painfully silent so this was definitely new to her.

“The current curriculum is focused on providing as much aid to the war as possible. Every history lesson, you will be kept up to date with the current events of the war. In other classes, you will most likely be learning things that relate to the war as well.”

Now this got Ingrid excited. The war – this was what she was looking forward to the most out of coming to the academy.

“The rest of today’s lesson will be dedicated to a team research project on the Orcon history and how their actions have instigated the war between the Three Northern Powers,” Shane concluded. “I assume you all have your lightpads so I will have the rest of the task on the board for you to focus on.”

The class, a mixture of boys and girls, erupted into chaos, jolting Ingrid in her seat. She clutched her lightpad and notebook to her chest in fright as a surge of boys came scrambling from her left and right.

She turned to give Daphne a look of confusion but the redhead was occupied by a circle of young men, pleading at the top of their lungs. She was laughing, head tilted back as several pleads of partnership came her way. Well somebody was popular.

“Your teams are either all girls or boys, maximum one lady if mixed!” Professor Shane shouted over the noise. Obviously this instruction was meant specifically for Daphne and her group of admirers. Ingrid was surprised the unladylike girl attracted so many men. Of course, looking at her then, Daphne appeared as quite the charmer, flipping her hair over her shoulder ever so casually.

Ingrid shook her head. She had never seen such disorder in her life before. Why didn’t the boys rampage the girls – or rather, Daphne, during mealtimes? Why now, all of a sudden during class?

“Miss Charles?”

Her hands tightened on the items against her chest. “Y-Yes?”

Dark green eyes peered down at her as the owner, a young man, stuck out a hand with a weak smile. “Harrison Kennedy. Would you like to work together for this project?”

Glancing around, Ingrid noticed that the boy was approaching her rather formally, compared to everybody else who were already well-acquainted and chatting like old friends. Nevertheless, she grasped his hand and shook it stiffly. She was grateful for his offer. “It would be my pleasure,” she replied politely. Ingrid had never worked in a group project before so she was more than relieved that somebody wanted to work with her.