Chapter 4

A loud air horn sounded and shortly after, Suri fell off the bed again.

“Looks like we’ll have to ask for a crib.” Mandy gave a smirk towards Suri

“Yeah, think you’re right” Suri replied in a groan pushing her thin body off the ground. Mandy was a little shocked that she wasn’t mad at her, but continued putting the uncomfortable slipper-like shoes on.

As Suri went to go get her own pair of dirt covered shoes, Mandy put her arm out in front of Suri to stop her,

“You’re gonna get eaten alive by anybody and everybody,” She blew air threw her nose in the form of a tiny laugh, “You might not ‘ave pulled the ‘tough’ thing off here, but you need to out there.” Mandy’s face turned towards the bar covered window to the other inmates already in the yard. She then pushed herself from off the metal bar and walked over to the big door just in time for a guard to lead her and Suri out.

Before they could leave, the guard chained both Mandy and Suri’s feet together so they were about 2 feet apart in distance. Then she led them out of the room and into the hall where many more prisoners were hooked and yelling together, and soon the two ‘room mates’ were in the line as well.

Suri wasn’t surprised that everyone in the line looked like Mandy.

She pursed her lips together and furrowed her thin eyebrows. She made a promise to herself,

I will never become a man-lady’ Suri nodded like a poser rock star and walked with the rest of the line to the yard. There, they were set free from all chains below the knees. Mandy walked over to Suri, who had just sat down at a bolted table.

“How’d ya like the freedom” Mandy yanked herself into a seat at the table.

“Not freedom.” Suri pulled her head up from looking at the ground to look at Mandy, then it resumed to the ground.

“I know, but I will have freedom. In 4 and a half months actually.” Mandy told Suri, it was easy to tell that Mandy had been smiling while she talked about getting out of here.

Mandy waited for a high energy response from Suri, but no sound came out of her mouth. Mandy got up and left, so Suri was alone again. Suri was grateful for that. For the first time she could remember, she was glad to be alone. Until, a bus stopped a few blocks up. That stupid bus. That stupid bus that got Suri into this mess.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The face of Neal Caffrey looked like he was nearly laughing at her.

“Don’t mock me,” Suri put her hands on her knees and her face in her hands, “It’s considered rude”

Neal stopped, he looked at her for a moment, knowing what she said was true. His face was now serious. He took the fedora of his head with his cuffed hands. He tore a slight slit in the side and pulled out a wire. He then used the wire to free his hands. The cuffs dropped and the bus roared off.

Suri rolled her eyes to the top of her head. No hat.

Well, I don’t have a hat Mr. Caffrey! So haha, you’re just lame’  Suri thought to herself. She put her head down so it was now facing the ground again. On the yellow grass, she saw big shadowed figures approach the table.

“What’s your name? HUH?!” Suri didn’t turn her head, but she knew who was talking from the way the shadows moved. She didn’t respond. The big woman with a shaved head and tattoos all over it walked over to her, kneeled down, and looked at her face. She lifted Suri’s head up with one hand and spat in it.