Chapter 1: Talking to Neal

She was just a 15 year old girl, trying to find a place in this world- Where she could use the toothpaste that she wanted to….ooh-ooh-ooh!!

Suri slammed the door and walked down the street singing an original, off pitch tune of a song, Packed up all her valuables, ran away from home, and not a tear, NO, NOT A TEAR!! Came from her eyes!

Suri made it all the way to the end of the block before she noticed people were staring at her odd interpretive dancing and trying not to hear her voice. This was a song that only the strangest of people, kind of like the people who signed Miley Cyrus to a record label, would ever add to and enjoy having on their playlist.

In Suri’s bag were necessities along with a few other things that she probably did not need to pack. She had packed all her favorite clothing items (her purple and black Vans had to be included), canned food, toothpaste (the one that was supposed to expire on Friday as well as the one Suri’s mother had forced into her bathroom drawer), her Buzz Lightyear electronic toothbrush, her stuffed teddy bear named Mr. Ted Bear, and a few other things.

As she was walking to the bus stop, Suri saw a hobo and was tempted to say, “AHH! A hobo!! Hide your babies and run for your life!!!” until she realized that she had just signed up to join the hobo society. Although, she did not quite look the part yet… So, instead, she just gave him a little, almost friendly nod, as if she suddenly knew a secret hobo sign language. Then the old, grungy looking man took his head out of his dirtied brown parka, opened his eyes wide, and smiled to show Suri that he was proud of having no teeth in his almost black gums. The sight wiped the smile off Suri’s face, and made gasp and gag. She rubbed her gum with her tongue to make sure her teeth were still intact. Then the guy started to gurgle and laugh. Suri ran.

After she wheeled her suitcase up to the shaded bench with a big blue sign, kind of like a stop sign except taller and pentagonal, she plumped down on the slated white bench like she had just ran a 20 mile marathon even though it was only nine blocks.  She waited about 5 minutes until the big white rectangular prism with the advertisement featuring Matt Bomer wearing a fedora, handcuffs and a blue neck tie. For some reason seeing his blown up face made her feel less homesick like she was meeting up with an old friend after moving 1500 miles away from home. She stared at his ocean like blue eyes pandering whether or not she had maybe been a little rash and in a split second, Suri could have sworn saw Neal Caffrey wink at her. Before she had time to think about it, her thought bubble was popped by the obnoxious screech of the bus’s door.

“$2.50!!!”  yelled the wrinkly man in a low pitched loud voice. ‘Reginald’ his Peel and Stick name tag read. He had no service award but Suri could tell he’d worked there long enough to have the gummy, dry, and sticky back of the disposable name tags washed into his stained white button-up vest.

“OK!” Suri let out a little squeal and felt like she needed to stand straight and put stiff hand to her right eyebrow. She yanked all the money out of her left sweaty pocket and slapped the crushed cash into the huge hand in front of her nose.

The man straightened the money as much as he could and checked to see if her five dollar bill would work to his likings.

“Get on!!!” The man yelled at her as if it were a life or death situation while nodding to the rear of the bus.

Suri walked to the back of the bus and decided to take a seat by an older woman in clean tidy clothes. After Suri sat down the scent of lilac and jasmine filled her nostrils.

“Hi!” Suri scrambled unsure of what else to say.

“Oh, well, hello dear.” The woman turned herself around and straightened her back. They stopped talking.

Sure saw the woman pull out her wallet and cell phone from her purse. Suri wondered if she had remembered to take her money from her gigantic porcelain cow. She pulled out her wheelie suitcase and found out that she had not remembered.

After a few stops, Suri decided to get off the bus. The doors screeched open again and she hopped off. She stood planning to wait and see the bus leave. Unwillingly, she looked at the White Collar advertisement and stared into those blue eyes again. She knew she would never have a normal life, at least for a while. Suddenly, like a calculator knowing the answer right away, she saw the face of Neal Caffrey move and heard him tell her,

“You have no money, and more than likely, you’re going to get everything you have stolen from you. Steal, it’s what I would do.”

His face moved back to the position that it was originally in and without warning the bus took off. Suri was in awe. She spun around and put her hand to her face sliding up the hair in front of her eyes. She had opened her eyes to an interesting sight, a small, crummy gas station right behind her. An idea popped into her head. She ran behind a metal garbage bin, dragging her suitcase behind her. Suri fell to her knees and unzipped the case. She dug through her clothing and found what she was looking for, her purple soccer sock! She stretched it out enough that she could fit her head into it. Then, Suri got out the small, but effective, pocket knife that she had won at her dad’s 3D archery shoot and cut out a little oval for her eyes. She put the mask in her pocket, hid her suitcase behind the trash can, and ran inside.

“Hello, there! How are you today?!” the chubby, dark-skinned women was your typical gas lady.

Feeling a little uncomfortable, Suri just smiled and nodded. She couldn’t talk to the person she was about to rob! She started small. She grabbed two bags of mini Doritos before walking out and stuffing them in her bag. Next, she went in for the kill. Suri patted her pocket to make sure her sock was still in there. It was. Suri walked back inside. This time, the lady didn’t say anything, but she looked suspicious. Suri took deep breaths and pretended to look very worried.

“Someone’s hurt outside!” she yelled, keeping her chest puffing in and out.

The woman’s eyes opened and she grabbed the first aid kit from behind the counter.

“Where?!” she said, in a panicky tone, like she had never done this before.

“Beside the dumpster!!!” Suri screamed.

“Okay!” the lady hollered back and wobbled out the glass doors.

Suri ran under the camera and figured that she was in a blind spot. She yanked the mask out of her pocket and pulled it over her face. Suri ran to the cash register and tried to open it.

“Locked!” she thought to herself. She looked around in a panic and found a baseball bat under the counter. She banged the bat on the cash register until it finally burst open.

“Bingo!” another thought in her head shouted.

Suri grabbed the money and stuffed it into the pocket her mask had been in only a few minutes before. Just then, the gas lady walked in and let out a shocked scream.

“Who are you?!” the lady yelled to the thin figure that was Suri O’Quinn. The lady then pulled out her cell phone and punched in three numbers:  9-1-1.