Chapter 28 - Fate

(A/N) Listen to the song at the side while reading :))

Oh and this chapter is dedicated to the lovely @AnythingAnEverything for being so very kind and leaving such sweet comments! Thanks for the support, girl!

* * * 

"Gaze at the stars, they say

They'll snatch your sorrows away.

Dance in the rain, they advise,

With the crying winds, your joy will rise. 

Tales of falling in love they tell,

So I did. 

I gazed at the stars, I danced in the rain, and ever so blindly;

I fell.

And regret it ever since.

* * *

*Charlotte's POV*

In Science, it's known as the butterfly effect. 

You may find yourself asking, what exactly is the butterfly effect?

It's a chain reaction. if you will. One simple decision made in a matter of seconds is capable of affecting your life in ways you can never imagine. A single choice can change the way life turns out for you in the end--it can change everything.

There are those who believe in the butterfly effect--who believe that one choice leads to another and if that choice was made differently, things would be completely different than the way they did turn out to be.

But I like to believe more in fate. The meaning? Simple.

The ending is decided. No matter how many times you try to change your future, regardless of the different ways you can try to do it, the ending will remain the same. 

We're controlled by fate, which sits presidingly at the reigns of our lives. No matter how many times we try to wriggle out of its grasp, it manages to capture us again, to hold us prisoners between the talons bloodied by the brutatlity of our failed attempts. 

Perhaps the ripple in my life caused by the change in my mother's personality was all a part of fate's plan. And if it was, I felt as if for once, it was on my side. However, no one could question my want for fate to side with me once again for the arrival of my father. It was relatively easy for my mother and I to smooth things out. Unfortunately, no matter how much time I spent praying or hoping, I knew that it'd be a lot harder to work it out with my father, who was arriving in just two days. 

Two days. The two words worked at it constantly, completely conquering my thoughts until there was nothing left but worry, which was anchored into my mind.

My mother said she would talk to my father, make him change his perspective just how she had changed hers. But the concerned look curtained weakly behind her eyes betrayed her assuring smile. She knew that it was going to be tough, yet she tried her best to make me believe otherwise. The both of us knew that it was near impossible to change the perspective of a man who had so much confidence in himself and his decisions.

Like any worried mother would, she made every effort to try and make the creases on my forehead disappear. With watchful eyes, she was able to note the cloud of stress hung over my features, regardless of how many attempts I made to hide it. 

"Why don't you go out and do something today?" Mother had asked, her eyes locked on the bright computer screen as her hands nimbly maneuvered the keyboard. Along with many other things about her that I never knew, I learned that she always worked when she got stressed. In many cases, work is the case of stress. But as the days grew closer to the ultimately dreaded Saturday, my mother was making more phone calls and appointments than ever.