Chapter 18 - Reality

*Niall's POV*

*** 

"Eleanor Jane Calder. Will you marry me?"  

My grasp loosened and the bottle of water that was in my hand clattered to the ground. My, no doubt, shocked, gaze darted to the stage where Louis, with his hope-filled eyes, was gazing up at his girlfriend. 

Eleanor emitted a sharp gasp, along with the rest of the hall, and placed her hands over her mouth. It took her no more than a few seconds to nod and jump into Louis' arms, which were ready to embrace her.

It all happened so fast. Louis gently slid the glistening diamond ring onto Eleanor's finger and hugged her tightly. Cheers echoed through the room, cheers from everyone but the boys and I.  

I looked to Zayn and Harry, who were standing next to me. Their expressions mirrored mine. Their mouths were agape and I could tell that the same question that was running through my mind was racing through theirs. What was Louis thinking? Sure, Louis and Eleanor had been dating for a while now, but we knew for a fact that Louis wasn't in love with her. We knew better than anyone that the love that may have resided in their hearts in the past for no longer existed. Louis was fooling himself into believing that this was what he wanted. He was oblivious. Oblivious to how much he changes around her, of how much of a different person he becomes. We had lost our Louis. We had lost our older brother, the one that wasn't afraid to be mischievous, to have fun. He changed. He changed into someone Eleanor wanted him to be, but someone we didn't recognize. And didn't want to recognize. 

The past few weeks had been different though. Louis was Louis. He was the older boy that acted as if he was the youngest. He spent more time with us, he was himself. The day he met Charlotte, we all saw change in him. He was Louis again. Charlotte changed him. She brought him back.  

Charlotte. 

I abruptly spun around and scanned the room for her. My eyes finally landed on the heart broken brunette.  

Danielle had both hands on either side of Charlotte's shoulders. She was comforting her, something that she needed now more than ever. Danielle's gaze met mine and she shot me a pleading look. My feet instantly began moving towards Dani and Char. As politely as I could, I pushed through the massive amount of people that were inconveniently gathered between the two girls and I. They were all staring at the stage, also not expecting this to be the night the birthday boy got engaged.  

Finally reaching the two girls, I caught a glance of Charlotte's tear-stained face. I felt someone nudge my left arm and looked to see Liam was next to me, his face holding much worry and sympathy.  

*Charlotte's POV* 

He's engaged. Louis is engaged. To Eleanor.  

"Char, will you please just listen to me?" Danielle's pleading voice was like a buzz to my ear. Her worried brown eyes bore into mine, wanting to get no more than a reaction. A twitch of my lips. A blink of my eyes. Yet, the heart staking pain left me paralyzed. I didn't dare open my mouth, knowing I wouldn't be able to speak through the choking sobs that would beat my voice.  

I was never good with shock. I was never good at hiding my emotions, at conjuring a believable smile. 

I lifted my head to see three worried faces staring down at me. Liam and Niall both opened their mouths to speak, but the rest of the hall exploded into cheers and clapping. I looked around, trying to figure out what was going on. My gaze landed on the engaged couple on stage. They were sharing a loving kiss, something I could bear no more. Everyone around us was standing up, creating commotion, meaning no one would notice if I slipped out of the hall.