Chapter Eight

"I...I..." Kali felt her face heat up even more, the blush spreading from her cheeks to her entire face.

"It's alright, love," Thornton was quick to reassure her as he walked over, reaching up to brush her hair back from her face, his hand lingering to cup her cheek, smiling the entire time. "After the full moon and our...well...rigorous activities last night it's understandable that you're hungry."

Kali's blush intensified and she made a soft whimpering sound before burying her face in Thornton's neck, trying to hide her embarrassment. She felt Kay trying to keep from laughing and couldn't resist the urge to nudge him with her elbow. He grunted dramatically and then whimpered as though she had actually hurt him, when he nuzzled her neck it made her giggle against Thornton's neck.

"So," Kali said after lifting her head, peering up at Thornton through her lashes, trying to pretend that Kay wasn't still nuzzling her neck suggestively. "Breakfast?"

Thornton chuckled and nodded, thumb rubbing over her cheek for a moment before he took her hand, Kay releasing her instantly, and walked her to the table. She wasn't surprised that, after she had taken a seat, Kay dropped, not so gracefully, into the chair next to her grinning like a little boy who just got away with stealing cookies before dinner. She giggled while Thornton rolled his eyes, taking a seat across the table from them.

As they ate they talked, asking questions and learning a little bit about one another.

Kali chuckled at a story Kay told about Thornton when they were young and had just reached for another piece of toast when someone, a Lawton Pack member, came bursting into the kitchen. She jerked in surprise and reflexively sank back in her chair, instincts screaming that she wasn't pack. She was an outsider and this man would likely tear her throat out. Even Kay's hand on her arm didn't calm the sudden pounding of her heart as she kept her eyes fixed on the newcomer even as Thornton stood, placing himself instinctively between his pack member and her.

"Alpha..." The man, tall with sandy brown hair and milky green eyes stopped, eyes fixing on her and surprise was written clear as day on his face. "Who..."

Kay growled unexpectedly, stopping only when Thornton gave him a warning look. Kali shook in her chair, reaching out and grabbing hold of Kay's hand, lacing their fingers together and trying to use the connection to calm down. Her mates wouldn't let anything happen to her.

"Andrew," Thornton said the name firmly, with every bit of authority of an Alpha, and the man's eyes immediately left Kali, his focus completely on his Alpha. "What was it that you needed?"

"It's..." Andrew glanced briefly at Kali again, clearly wanting to ask who she was but not wanting to risk his Alpha's anger. "It's Samson. He's..."

"Say no more. Where is he?"

"The bar down on Haven Street."

With a nod Thornton turned, looking at Kay. "I'll handle this," he said and Kay nodded his understanding. "Why don't you and Kali spend the morning together? I'll be back as soon as I can."

Thornton gave Kali a warm smile before he and Andrew left. S waited a moment before turning to Kay. "Who's Samson?"

"A nuisance."

Kay didn't sound like he was overly thrilled with Thornton going off without him and Kali gave his hand a squeeze, trying to distract him, which worked, at least a little, since he leaned over and nuzzled her cheek. He sighed softly, kissing her cheek as he pulled back a bit, smiling just a little.

"Samson's just...he's a pain in the ass," he said after a moment, rubbing his thumb over the back of her hand. "I honestly don't know why Thornton even keeps him around. He's a useless drunk who always picks fights and starts trouble."

"Every pack as someone like that," she said softly, thinking of Donald McGullan, an elderly man from her pack who was a lot like the man Kay described. "But they're still pack. You can't just go tossing them out because they're not like everyone else."

Kay chuckled and gave her this curious little look.

"What?"

"It's nothing," he said, still chuckling a bit. "Well it's just...Thornton says pretty much the same thing. And, honestly, when Samson's off the bottle for a good stretch he's a perfectly fine Gamma. He just...needs to get his shit straightened out I suppose. Thornton's patience isn't limitless."

"Do you really think Thornton would force this man from the pack?"

Kay shrugged. "If he was left with no other option. The pack is only as strong as its individual members. And Samson's...problem...doesn't just affect him."

"Maybe he just needs someone to help him."

Kay's head tipped to one side a bit, his eyes never leaving her face, silently studying her in a way that she was unfamiliar with. It had just started to bother her when he smiled, leaning over to nuzzle her neck affectionately. "You're amazing, darling, do you know that?"

Kali blinked.

"For what? Suggesting the obvious?"

He grinned. "Not every wolf would think about Samson needing help. They'd either force him out of the pack or kill him."

Kali's nose wrinkled in distaste but before she could say anything Kay kissed her cheek.

"You're amazingly wonderful."

She felt the blush bloom in her cheeks and quickly ducked her head, trying to hide it. She wasn't used to being complimented. Hell, she wasn't used to being treated the way Kay was treating her. It was a lot to take in. Especially given the short amount of time she had known her mate. She smiled as she looked at him, seeing the joy written clear as day on his face, she decided that this was a life she could get used to.