The Predicament

"Is it the freshest one you have?"

Molly Hooper nodded quickly. "Only a few hours old."

"Fantastic." Sherlock gave her a satisfied smile, an expression Molly still found peculiar on him even after knowing him for quite some time. She stood unmoving for a moment as Sherlock stepped into the morgue and promptly unzipped the bag on the table that had been concealing the dead body of a man in his mid-40s. He scanned over the man's face and nodded to himself, but Molly could sense that there was further reason Sherlock had shown up that day, not just to embark on another experiment.

"A scalpel, if you don't mind." Sherlock held out a hand in Molly's direction, and she had no choice but to step inside herself and hand his requested item to him. She stood beside him without saying a word as he began to do...whatever he had intended to do. Typically he didn't bother to explain his experiments to Molly unless she asked or if he needed her assistance. Which might have been more frequently than one might think, although Molly didn't mind in the slightest.

"I needed to think." Sherlock stated, knowing what Molly had been thinking. She’s been wondering what had made him stop by so early in the day. "The flat gets a bit stifling sometimes."

"A, erm, a little domestic with John?" she asked lightly, smiling at her own joke.

"No." Sherlock replied with no emotion, and Molly's smile drooped.

"Oh. Well, I was thinking about making myself a cuppa, would you like something?"

"Not particularly." Sherlock then glanced up from the body he'd been standing over to look at Molly. "And tell John that I'm busy."

Molly opened her mouth to speak, but knew her question would likely be answered when she left the morgue. As guessed, when she reached the top of the steps she nearly bumped into a certain doctor as he began to go downstairs.

"Oh, morning Dr. Watson," she smiled broadly at him.

"Hello Molly. Have you seen Sherlock?"

Molly shifted on her feet, already knowing where this was going. "Well, yes, but he-"

"Good. Thank you Molly, I'll see you in a bit." John quickly stepped past her without another word, and Molly sighed as she watched him make his way down to the morgue. Sherlock would have known she wouldn't have been able to stop him, right?

"…Okay." Molly said lightly to herself while shaking her head slightly, and headed off to brew up three cups of tea.

John sighed when he found Sherlock in morgue as expected, and stood outside the door watching him for a moment before walking inside.

"So you've come running down here to hide from all your problems again." John stated, but Sherlock didn't bother to look up at him.

"What makes you think I’m having a problem?" he asked dismissively, and John gave him a pointed look while removing his coat and hanging it over his arm.

"Maybe the fact that you ran out of the flat this morning after that little ordeal with Mycroft. If you have a problem with Isabelle, why don't you just-"

John paused when he saw Sherlock holding out his phone. "From Mycroft, twenty minutes ago. Must be awfully busy, texting like he has today. Wasn't another dentist appointment. . ."

Sherlock grew silent mid-sentence, which was something John had grown used to, as he took his phone and read over the message displayed on the screen.

Might want to ask your newest flat-mate about her past job history.

"What's that supposed to mean?" John asked while passing Sherlock's phone back to him.