Chapter Four: Alone

.:Chapter Four: Alone:.

"You live here?"

Looking back over his shoulder at me, Liam shakes his head. "Nah, I just like coming here when I need space of my own. Or sometimes I come here with my friend."

I follow after him into a room that seems like the living room, and awkwardly stand there at the doorway while he turns on the lights and sits down on a deep purple couch. "Zack?"

"That's the one. Honestly Niall, sit down, make yourself at home." He motions for me to sit down, a welcoming smile on his face. I return the smile as I sit down beside him, and take a quick look around the place.

It's actually pretty nice despite the outward appearance. I mean, from the outside, it looks like an old and abandoned cabin. Complete with woods surrounding it three quarters of the way around. A dirt road leading the way from the cabin to the main road. The inside; however, is homey and comfortable. The color is a light creamy shade, the wooden furniture is dark brown except for the couches in the living room. Those are a deep purple color, it's a nice touch. There's an old TV stationed on a stand, and right away I can tell there's no cable. Just a DVD player and some movies. At least there's electricity. Which means...

"Hey, um, Liam?" I say shyly, hand scratching the back of my neck.

He looks at me. "Yeah?"

"Um," I don't know how to say this, I mean, it's his place after all but I really need it. "Do you have, uh, food?" Instantly, my cheeks burn up from embarrassment. I'm sorry, but I can't contain my hunger for too long.

Just as I knew he would, Liam smirks playfully at me but stands up anyways. "Course I do, I'm a human being. I need food. C'mon, lets go get you something to eat." He leads me to a different room, next to the living room and opens a cabinet. No way.

I push him away in a hurry and grab the jar of holy goodness, my smile hurting my cheeks from how big it is. "You have some?" And just like that, my awkwardness is gone and I feel a little more at home.

Liam shrugs nonchalantly, hands in his pockets sporting a happy grin. "I love Nutella. You would need to be crazy not to love it. I have way too many Nutella jars, I don't know what to do with them."

My face is set in a serious expression as I ask him the question burning at the tip of my tongue. "Will you marry me?"

No sooner has the question come out when I hear a slight growling noise coming from somewhere nearby. Maybe he has a dog? I don't know and it's none of my business anyways. But we're friends now, so I'm allowed to ask right?

He puts a hand on top of mine, which is still wrapped around the jar, and with a semi-serious voice, he says. "Niall, I would love to marry you but I'm not the one for you."

I fake a gasp, tugging the jar to my chest. "What? You can't be serious Liam! How can you not be the one for me? This is an outrage! How am I supposed to survive without my precious Nutella?!" Calling upon my acting skills, which sadly do not include lying, I let a few fake tears form at the corners of my eyes. While at the same time, watching Liam's expression.

He shakes his head, looking horrified, and in an action so quick I can only see a blur, he's holding out a handful of small Nutella jars. "No! I was kidding. I was kidding! I'll marry you, give you all the Nutella you want. Just please don't cry. Please, I don't like it. And I can't have you be upset."

To say I'm shocked would be an understatement, I cannot believe he really fell for that. Setting the jar down on a nearby counter, I gently help him set the jars he's holding down as well. I ignore the cold sensation of his skin against mine, too busy making sure Liam doesn't have a panic attack or something.

"Liam, breathe. I'm not going to cry, just breathe okay?" Being face to face with him isn't as comfortable as before. Now, I have a sense of fear deep in my gut. "You can't die on me Li." I try to joke but Liam chuckles darkly.

"If only you knew." I hear him mutter as he turns away from me and rearranges the Nutella jars.

What's that supposed to mean? If only I knew what? Dammit, I hate it when people keep things from me, especially my friends. There's something that Liam isn't telling me. 

Do I want to know?

Taking a deep breath to just push every negative thought away, I walk slowly back to the living room, no longer in the mood to eat. How can I? I mean, I barely met the guy yet here I am! At his place, calling him a friend, and casually sitting on his couch. He's practically a stranger. Just like the boy from my past. And look how well that friendship turned out. But at least I know Liam's name. The other one is still a mystery, one that I do not want to delve further into.

Once again, that dreaded word pops up in my head again. A possibility. One that I find ridiculous but unnerving at the same time.

This is getting out of hand, I need a distraction. "Hey Liam?" I call out in the direction of the kitchen which is where Liam was.

No answer.

I roll my eyes, he probably didn't hear me. "Liam!" This time I speak louder hoping to catch his attention.

Nothing.

Now I'm worried. He couldn't have left, I would've noticed or heard him walking around. Or maybe he's trying to be funny. Yeah, real hilarious Liam. I decide to get up and see where he is, hopefully he's just in the bathroom. But when I step in the kitchen, no one is there.

Maybe it's the fact that I'm all alone that I start freaking out, but whatever the reason, I start hyperventilating. Big time.

"Liam?" I say meekly.

Silence.

"Li?"

I don't like being left alone unexpectedly. Why did he leave me? Is he coming back?

Out of nowhere, I hear footsteps. Silent but definitely there.

Maybe it's Liam. I try to suppress the sudden chills I'm getting "Liam? Is that you?"

I expect his voice answering me, reassuring me that it is him. But that's not what I get.

"You've grown up so much, angel."