Chapter 21

Lynn's POV
"I'm so sorry Ly" Madison said.
"How come you didn't text me back? Or call?" She asked.
"I really just wanted to be alone" I said. She nodded.
"I'm really sorry Ly" She said.
"Thanks Madison" I said and sighed. School has been rough. I'm not even paying attention in class, because I'm thinking about my mom, then the teacher decides to call on me and I don't know the answer. They always have to call on the people that don't pay attention. What is the point? Everyone knows you're not listening. So why bother?

"So what about you and Ethan" She asked.
"Nothing," I lied. Why am I lying to Madison? I tell her everything.
"I was walking with Grayson this morning, and Ethan came over to us and started flipping about. I heard your name a couple of times in there" He said. He's probably telling him that I like him. Now the entire schools probably going to know, fantastic. "Lynn Cole, tell me right now or else I'll never talk to you again" She said.
"Madison I'm not in the mood" I said.
"I'm your best freaking friend, we tell each other everything" She said.
"You can't be not in the mood to tell me something, you have to tell me even in your in the worst of moods" She said. I sighed.
"Fine, fine" I said.
"I told Ethan I liked him" I said, quietly.
"You what" She said.
"Why? What happened?" She asked. "He kept bothering me about why I wasn't his friend, and I told him that I don't like Meredith, and don't want them together but he wanted another reason. So I told him" I said. Madison shook her head.
"I could never do that; tell the boy I like him. You've got guts kid" She said. That made me smile.
"I knew I could get a smile out of you" She said and bumped me with her shoulder.
"Did anything else happen?" She asked.
"Well, first he said that there was a guy out there but it just wasn't him, and he called me beautiful, and who ever ends up with me is lucky, and I don't really know" I said. "To be honest I feel like he says that to every girl he breaks up with" I said. Madison didn't answer, so I knew I was right.
"Did he say that to you?" I asked.
"No, well, he told me I was pretty, not beautiful" She said.
"What were his exact words?" I asked.
"You're pretty, but I can't be with you anymore" She said. Ouch.
"He's such a dick" She said.
"He'd be lucky to have you. And he chooses her over you? What a jerk" She said and rolled her eyes.
"Speaking of the jerk" She said and I picked my head up.

I saw Ethan walking over to us.
"Hey," He said.
"Hi" I said.
"You're here, I wasn't sure if you were coming to school" He said.
"I'm...here" I said. Sort of, I'm physically here, but my mind is somewhere else.
"I'm glad," He said. Madison scoffed. Ethan looked at her.
"Can I help you with something, Madison?" He asked.
"You have some nerve to pass up a girl as amazing as Ly" Madison snapped.
"Madison don't" I said.
"No it's okay, go ahead, and scream at me. I don't know why I chose her, it just happened"
"So you're saying you didn't even think about dating Ly" Madison said.
"No! I just, ­" He sighed and raked a hand through his hair.
"I don't want to hurt her" He said.
"Standing right here guys" I said. They both ignored me. Wow, alright.
"So you chose Meredith instead of Ly, so you don't hurt Ly?" She said and her eyebrows knitted together.
"Isn't that just hurting yourself?" She asked.
"Yes, but, I'd rather hurt myself then to hurt my best friend" He said.
"You guys are talking about me like I'm not even here" I said.
"Shh, I'm trying to figure this out" Madison said. Gee, thanks Madison.
"I don't think that's true" Madison said.
"What?" Ethan and I said at the same time.
"Ly, why don't you get to class? Madison and I have some talking to do" Ethan said. "No, I'm not leaving. You're talking about me, so I deserve to know" I said.
"Ly, you know I'll tell you. Just go, it'll make things come out a lot easier" She said. "That's what she-­"
"Shut up Ethan" Madison said.
"Fine, but you're telling me everything at lunch" I said and glanced at Ethan.
"Yep, sure"

Madison's POV
"You want to date her, but you're scared" I said. Ethan licked his lips and shifted uncomfortably.
"You're scared of being in a relationship" I said.
"N, no, that's not true" He said.
"Ethan, don't lie. I know you like her" I said. He was avoiding my eye contact. He must really like her.
"I'm right, aren't I" I said.
"I swear to god, you cannot tell a Lying sole" He hissed. My jaw dropped. Ethan likes Lynn. Ethan actually has feelings.
"Oh my god," I said.
"Madison are you listening to me? You can't even tell Ly" He said.
"Fine," I said.
"But let me try to figure this out" I said and crossed my arms over my chest.
"You like Ly, but you're too scared to date her. So you go to Meredith because you try to push away the feelings" I said.
"How the fucks do you know all of this" Ethan asked. I smirked.
"Damn I'm good" I said.
"Why can't you just admit you like her? Why are you scared?" I asked.
"Because" He sighed.
"Come on Ethan, who am I going to tell" I said.
"Everyone, you hate me" He said.
"True, but I won't tell this stuff. I care too much about Ly to embarrass her like this" I said.
"I can't do the whole relationship thing" He said.
"I've never had a girlfriend, just flings. I don't know how to be a good boyfriend, I don't know how to treat girls, right" He said.
"You do though" I said.
"It's honestly easier than you think," I said.
"I don't want to learn Madison. I want to stay the same" He said.
"But you want to be with Ly, right?" I asked.
"Yeah but­"
"But nothing, you'll try. And if you try-­"
"No Madison. I'm not trying, I'm going to mess everything up, and I'll hurt her" He said. "But you do care about her, and since you care about her a lot, you'll make yourself work a lot harder to not hurt her" I said.
"Jesus Madison, can I just think about this? This is a lot to put on me right now" He said.
"Fine, but, you have to promise me you'll think about it" I said.
"Fine, I promise" He said.
"Good, I'll come find you sometime tomorrow" I said and then turned around. I will make these two work.

Lynn's POV
I was on my way to lunch; I was in a hurry since I was trying to get to Madison. I really wanted to know what she and Ethan were talking about before.
"Look who it is," I heard someone say. I looked over my shoulder to see Meredith leaning against a locker. She was picking at her nails and looked up. I could see a smirk starting to grow on her face.
"The rebound girl" She said and her smirk grew. Ignore her. I started to walk forward again.
"Hey, I wasn't done talking to you Cole" She shouted. I stopped and turned around. Whatever she has to say doesn't matter anyway. I came face-to-face with Meredith. I knew one thing for sure. John Green was right, the closer you get, the uglier things become.
"What" I said and crossed my arms over my chest.
"I'm going to remind you one last time" She snapped.
"Ethan is mine" She hissed through her teeth. I scoffed and started to turn around. But she stopped me.
"I don't know what little mix up you two had yesterday," She said. How did she know about that? Was she there? Was she following us? Or him? Or me?
"But it doesn't mean anything" She said.
"He still doesn't like you and he will never be with you" She said.
"He chose me over you, Cole. You better start getting used to being number two" She said and that smirk started to form again.
"You done?" I asked.
"Not quite" She said.
"Step a foot near him again, and you'll see what I can really do" She threatened. How scary. I rolled my eyes.
"Meredith, you may look scary, but threats are pathetic" I said. She narrowed her eyes at me.
"As are your attempts of getting Ethan back" I rolled my eyes.
"I don't care if I don't have him, Meredith. All you two have is sex. He doesn't care about you outside of the bedroom. He might not even care about you inside the bedroom" I said. She shifted her position.
"But I know that since I'm his best friend, he'll always care about me more then you. In fact, he even cares about trash more then he cares about you" I snapped.
"You're wrong. Ethan cares about me" She said.
"Really? So, he stays the night after everything?" I asked. Meredith blinked a couple of times and looked away from my eyes.
"Still think he cares about you?" I asked.

Meredith started to get angry. She lifted her head back up and suddenly; I felt my cheek starting to sting. My jaw dropped. Did she just slap me? I pressed my hand to my cheek. My hand seemed cold when I touched my cheek. I looked back up at Meredith and she seemed to be shocked that she did that too.
"What the hell is wrong with you" I heard someone say from behind me. A boy's voice, Ethan's voice.
"Ethan I­-"
"Save it. You don't need to pick a fight with me too" He snapped at her. I felt his hand touch my waist as an attempt to turn me around.
"I didn't mean it!" Meredith said. I felt the tears starting to form again. What the heck. Why am I crying so much?
"It doesn't matter, you still did it. It still hurts even if you didn't mean to do it" He said. "Ethan please wait" Meredith said. I felt him grab my arm, and pull me away from Meredith.
"Are you okay?" He asked.
"I'm fine" I said and removed my hand.
"Do you want ice?" He asked.
"No" I said.
"What were you talking about" He asked.
"You already know that" I said.
"I figured, but I wasn't sure" He said.
"Are you sure you okay?" He asked.
"I'm fine Ethan" I reassured him. He didn't look convinced though.
"You look like you're about to cry" He said. It was true.
"What did she say to you?" He asked. He stared at my cheek, and I tried to move my head so he would stop, but he didn't.
"Things I already know" I said and sighed. That caused him to look at me.
"What things? Because I told her to stop bothering you" He said.
"Did you tell her about yesterday?" I asked.
"Of course not" he said.
"Why would you think that?" He asked.
"She knows about our talk yesterday at the hospital" I said.
"She knows I visited you, maybe she figured that we talked" He said. He was looking at me dead in the eyes, he was telling the truth.
"Did you tell anyone that I like you?" I said quietly.
"No, Ly" He said. Good. I don't want anyone else to know. Even though I really do hate secrets. I nodded.
"I'm going to eat lunch," I said.
"I'll see you later" I said and then turned around. Perfect end to a perfect day.

So did u guyz enjoy dat chapter???????