Chapter Two: Doc

Chapter Two: Doc

Daniel led me through what he called the compound. It was just endless corridors with a few open areas and there were people dotted around but there weren’t that many, but honestly I didn’t know what I had expected. I still didn’t understand what was going on, Daniel had said that the world wasn’t a safe place but what did that mean exactly? And who else lived at this compound? And he still hadn’t told me what that creature was that I was stuck in a room in. But yet, I couldn’t bring myself to ask him all these questions as he lead me through endless corridors, his hand tightly wrapped around my wrist so I get lost or distracted. So I didn’t exactly get the grand tour as Daniel was focused on getting me to this Doc person. He finally stopped outside a white painted door and turned to me.

“This is the medical centre of the compound.” He informed me before knocking hard on the door twice. He pushed it open and walked inside the room dragging me in with him. Inside the room, the walls were a pristine white and the smell that emanated from the room stung my nose. There were hospital beds against the walls on the left and right of me and a path right through the middle. Daniel dragged me down the centre of the room to the back. “Doc!” He hollered as continued.

A tall woman with striking red hair appeared out of nowhere with a serious expression on her face and a pair of glasses perched precariously on her nose. She was dressed in simple black trousers, black shirt and a white lab coat over the top. When she saw us she scowled. I’m guessing this was Doc.

“What have you two gotten up to now?” She asked in a bored tone. I felt confused but slightly amused, what? Did we usually get into trouble that often? I wish I could remember!

“Actually, it’s just Sasha.” Daniel sighed letting go of my wrist. Wow he sighed a lot. “She’s lost her memory.”

Doc looked at me with doubt clear on her face. “Are you sure she just isn’t pulling your leg?” She crossed her arms. Why does everyone doubt that I’m telling the truth?! What kind of a person am I or was I?

“That’s what I thought but she is also not acting like herself and she went into the black room.” Daniel explained almost willing Doc to believe us.

Doc’s eyebrows went up at that. “She went into the black room?”

“Um.” I suddenly spoke up making them both look at me. “What’s the black room?” I paused and then quickly added. “Was that what that room is called, the one with that thing in it?”

“Yes.” Daniel answered simply and then gestured at me but spoke to the Doc. “You see what I mean? The Sasha before wouldn’t act as dumb as she is nor would she even ask a question she would demand the answer.” I scowled at the dumb comment but didn’t reply. “And,” Daniel continued. “She would have hit me for that ‘dumb’ comment that I just said.”

“I still might,” I muttered glaring daggers in his direction.

“Hmm, I see what you mean.” Doc said before sighing. “Okay Sasha,” She directed her attention towards me. “I want you to come and sit up on this bed for a second okay?” She patted one of the hospital beds. I did as she asked and hopped up onto it and waited. Doc stood in front of me then with a pen light and shone it into my eyes. I winced and closed my eyes. “No Sasha you need to keep your eyes open, this will only take a couple seconds.” Doc scolded me. I nodded and opened my eyes again and when she shone the light into my eyes for the second time I had to resist closing them. True to her word it didn’t last very long but I was still blinking away dots that appeared after the light was gone.

“Okay, I’m going to ask you a few questions okay?” Doc told me as she picked up a clip board from the end of the bed. I nodded. “What’s your full name, including your middle name?”