27.

I didn't wake her. I couldn't. I didn't want to speak to anyone till my head was in order and right now I was a mess. And not such a hot one, either. I'd built every facet of that business. I was proud of the building, and every member of staff within. I'd given Radspace my life force, everything I was, it was. In this economic crisis we couldn't afford to be another company dragged under by investors pulling out. By investors, I mean the companies that make us what we are. The big brands, the guys who mean that business floats our way consistently. One little hiccup like this could easily cost us millions, but more importantly our reputation and the trust people have in us. Invaluable trust.

I'd need to speak to the computer guys, find out how this was possible, and get my head around what our next step would be. I wasn't waiting around for Aldous' private jet, I asked him to ensure his pilot met Kennedy here later in the day and had her returned home. I took a place in a first class seat on a British Airlines flight. I'd been lucky enough to sweet talk an agent into rushing me through all the checks in order to avert as much catastrophe as I could for Radspace. The quicker I got there, the better.

I switched my phone off, aware of the masses of calls that were coming my way. I didn't want to address anyone until I had a picture of the full scale of this. Lucky enough to have wifi, I instant messaged Clark. The poor bastard was holding the fort but only just. This had to happen at a time when I was five hours away. Fucking shitty timing. I doubted Clark had had any sleep, and I pictured the others, frantically trying to reassure people that I was coming and everything would be okay. I had no idea how the atmosphere would look, how the morale would be in the office. We'd never had to deal with anything like this before. I hoped a little sweet talk might serve as a tonic to those who worried about their privacy and data protection, but there was only such much charm could do.

The extent of the violation to our systems, as yet, was unknown to me.

And my charm and sweet talk were a band aid that wouldn't hold unless we'd cemented the cracks in our present system. We needed to be watertight and impenetrable. Something I always thought we were. I couldn't help but wonder why someone would target us, we made a lot of money sure, but this act seemed malicious. Like somebody out there couldn't wait to see us flounder and fall flat on our faces. If they'd wanted money surely there were other ways to extort it from us. This was to dent the sterling image we upheld. This was personal.

.......................

I touched down on American soil to another two dozen voice messages. I didn't take stock of who they were, I just knew I had to get to the office and show my face. And I hadn't expected the rush of paparazzi. Flashes impaired my vision as I pushed my way into the premises, and I wasn't surprised to see Rusty and Jen waiting for me, ready to aid my entrance and hold back any rogue photographers. Once inside, Russ trapped me in a bear hug.

'They're calling this the downfall of Radspace, dude, what can we do?'

My eyes were drawn to a TV screen in the lobby, Clea Marshall, the receptionist for the building eyed me with a sympathetic smile.

'....James Dean is committed to Radspace, but more importantly, to his clients. I for one, have no qualms in standing by James, and I believe this so called scandal will blow over soon. The tabloids will talk, but his track record speaks for itself.' Gregor Vitalia stood in front of a boutique, displaying their current seasons lines, being interviewed by a CNN reporter.

This was worse than I anticipated.

'Speaking of track records, Mr Dean also has quite the colorful love life, Mr Vitalia. Do you care to comment....'

Gregor waved his hand and walked away, signaling the end of the interview. He'd been a good friend to me. I perhaps didn't appreciate his support before, but now I was grateful to have a man with his social stature standing firmly beside me.