Chapter 2

I stare at my watch, realizing the time. It's late, but I got here only a short time ago. "This is a terrible question, but would you mind if I stayed the night? I can sleep on the couch" Felicity doesn't look convinced. "Look, you don't want her here alone right? Umm, it just might be better if I'm here. She does know me QUITE well." walls start to break down and Felicity finally caves."Alright. But if Ms.Champney wonders what you're still doin' here for-don't come cryin' to me. I got enough to deal with as it is." And with that, she hobbled out the door, balancing on her cheap heels. She turns the lights off, though for what reason I cannot say.

Walking over to my sleeping beauty, I pause. What am I still doing here? I'm married for god's sake! I should be better than this but yet, I keep spinning in circles, not going anywhere. "Angelique? Wake up dear, I've got something for you. You need this, it's A- blood. I know you don't really care for it but it's all I've got." I pull a bag from the front pocket of my jacket rip it open, careful not to spill a drop. "Wake up. Please, do it for me." I nudge her shoulder carefully but she doesn't move. "Please, wake up. I need you to." This is getting clearly hopeless. I prop her head up, and squeeze onto the couch, letting her shoulders rest on my knees. Her lips are parched, cracked and swollen. What has happened to my Angelique? I bring the bag to her lips and squeeze a bit, letting a bit trickle into her mouth. I pry her mouth open and pour more in, tipping her head back and helping her swallow. "For me. That's all I ask of you Angelique. Why can't you do me even that simple favour? Why?" I whisper as tears drip down my face, creating little little spots of water in her hair. Hair that was once so silky and radient now resembles straw they fed the animals over there. Even farmers wouldn't be proud of this straw. The animals would merely turn away in discust, horrified.

More tears now. I cannot believe this."You must wake up. Please. Please!" I become more desperate as time drags on. The bag's nearly empty now, I don't know what to do. Her eyelashes flutter once, twice, and then her eyes open, beautiful green eyes, that show her utter unhappiness. It takes her a moment to realize her surroundings. Looking me in the eye, she calms down, finally calculating where she is and what happened."Shh it's okay. I'm right here." I tell her, feeling waves of relief wash over me. Now gathering her wits, she takes a breath," I assume Felicity has gone home?" I nod. "Good. I wouldn't want her to see me like this." I can't help but think of the irony in this statement, but I say nothing.

"It's been a long two years Jack. You need to understand that. After a while, I just kinda gave up, as if nothing mattered anymore." She sort of shrugs, then continues. " Shouldn't we just pretend that for one night, we're back in the old days, when we could have crazy sex on the Dior sheets, and drank like nothing mattered. Why can't, or shouldn't we have that now?"

"That was the night you tried to kill me. You spiked the drinks with my blood and the next thing I know, I'm staring at the barrel of a gun. My world went blank. I found myself in the garbage shoot the next morning. As far as I can tell, you told me to fuck off that day."

"Jack, I'm so sorry. I wasn't in my right mind. All I ask of you is to put the past behind you, and to move on. Look at me, I've been wallowing in self pity and shame. I'm so sorry. I never meant to put you through this." her voice is hoarse and almost alien, quite unlike the velvet softness from well, before all this happened. "If only I could Angelique, If only I could."