Chapter 4 (Believe)

- CHAPTER FOUR -

B E L I E V E

I’m walking between the trees on one bank of the river. It’s pitch-black; and I don’t remember that night has arrived. My heart bounds loudly, I can hear it clearly, as if it’s trying to warn me. I see someone at a far distance from where I stand, straight ahead.

“Who’s there?” I scream. But I get no reply. “Who’s there?” I repeat, more frightened.

“Lenmana.” The person simply calls. I know that voice, even though it feels so distant in my memory. “It’s me, dear.” It’s so soft I want to touch it. “Lenmana.” The voice says again.

Mother.

Mother.

MOTHER!

“Mother!” I cry, running so fast I can barely breathe, “Mother! Wait!” I’m running too fast, trying to close the distance between us but instead, it widens.

“The cannibals are going to devour me tomorrow in the Celebration, Lenmana.” Mother says. “Don’t let them. Rescue me. Change facts. Do something. You can.” She pleads and I weep.

“I can’t do anything, mother.” I sob, “Father says they’re so much stronger than we are. They put rules, and I’m so nothing to change them.”

“You’re something great, daughter.” I can hear a smile in her voice. I can’t see her and it kills me, I miss her so much. “You’re boundless, fearless and you’re one of a kind. You can bring a change to your world, Lenmana. Trust me.”

I forget what we are talking about, and allow myself to reminisce some of our old memories, “I miss you, mother.” I say quietly. “I’m sorry. I’m so sorry for never being able to protect you neither in your life nor death. I hate myself.” I cry all over again.

I hear the flute. She’s playing it. She starts the symphony of the song she’d taught me an age ago, and then she stops,

“Change comes from the hearts of those who believe in it

My little girl is brave to reveal it

All colors of the world are ready to be lit

My little girl is brave to reveal it..” she sings.

I close my eyes and smile, I finally find her voice to sing along with mine. Sing this song. Sing it once again.

I sing too, “She’s strong, she’s pure, she believes in it

She sings this song, she won’t be wrong

She does not fear, won’t shed a tear

My little girl is brave to conceal it

She’s clever, she’s smart, she’s gonna dig a pit

Let evil fall there and get rid of it

Change comes from the hearts of those who believe in it

My little girl is brave to reveal it

My little girl is brave to reveal it.”

***

I wake up. Breathless. I feel like I might suffocate. I inhale lungful gulps of air, and hope my breath steadies. “Mother.” I whisper.

Jacy wakes up beside me, “Len?” He tries to sit but fails and I help him mind-absently, “what’s wrong?” He asks.

“Mother.” I say it as if I’m speaking to myself, almost inaudibly. “I had a dream about mother.”