Chapter 6

The Soccer Player

Chapter 6

"Ughhhh noooo." I looked out my window in disdain. Instead of the overcast, rainy, gray morning I had been hoping for, the sun was beating down on everything. Including me via my window.

I rubbed my eyes and sat up, dazed. Another crappy morning, another crappy bowl of Lucky charms cereal. It's not exactly Nut Bran (Which, as I've heard, is a cereal for lunatics), but it's good enough for me.

I arose with the feelings and emotions I had harbored in my head over the night haunting my mind. The hate for my mother's absence. The weird feeling at Jack's alienating himself by flirting with me constantly. The love I felt for my little brother and sister, and finally, the friendship with Jaylin that had automatically started up.

I smiled to myself as I made my way to the kitchen. Even if it was boiling outside, trust the tiles in my house to be freezing. I winced as I walked through the kitchen, opening the cupboard and reaching to produce the red cardboard box that would provide me with breakfast's nutrients, or lack there of. Pouring it numbly into a bowl was my specialty.

Three bowls of sugar, a shower, and four outfits later, I was ready for school, and whatever it entailed. I walked over to Jaylin's to see if she wanted to carpool.

Instead of Jaylin or Jack answering the door, a woman who looked to be in about her middle ages appeared.

She had jet black hair just past her shoulders, with one gray streak near the front. She had faint freckles dotted across her face, and an enchanting smile that automatically made me want to smile back. I assumed this woman to be Mrs. Sparrow.

"Good morning." She surprised me by greeting me with an English accent.

"G-good morning." I stammered out. Just then, Jaylin peeked into the doorway, slightly shadowed by the stairs just to her left.

"Hey Cassilyn! One sec," she grabbed her backpack and strolled toward me. Mrs. Sparrow looked at me with a questionable glint in her eyes.

"Cassilyn? This is the girl Jack couldn't stop talking about? She's way prettier in person..." She smiled at me. I awkwardly grimaced back.

"MOTHER!" Jack fell down the stairs. He jumped back up, blushing furiously. He stumbled up to her. "Don't say that." He hissed. She shrugged.

"It's a free country, honey. Get used to it." She grinned and patted him on the head. He frowned and wriggled out of her grasp.

"Okay, let's go!" Jaylin popped out. I waved shortly and full-out flinched out as turned around towards Jaylin's car.

"Wait!" Jack called out as he sprinted towards us. Unfortunately, he managed to slip on a few leaves and fall flat on his back halfway to us. Jaylin and I both burst out laughing, me grabbing the car, and her rolling around on the ground.

He groaned and glared at us while attempting to get up. His mother, however, was grabbing the side of the front door and sliding the side of it, she was laughing so hard. Like mother, like daughter, I guess.

"Just... go." He opened the door and sat down. In the passenger's seat, I noticed.

"Thanks guys," I grumbled, "now I get the back."

"Well I hurt mine, that's why." Jack mumbled from the front. We backed out of the driveway, Jaylin driving.

We arrived on campus a short ten minutes later. We each got out of our own doors, silence holding to us like a cloud.

We got out and went our seperae ways without acknowledging each other. 

The rest of the day passed into blur, until just after my third class, around two o'clock.

I had to walk across campus on an old sidewalk through the middle of the land the college owned, which took about five minutes. This was my least favorite part of the day, because I had to walk past the soccer team.

The soccer team consisted of about thirty adult males, ranging in age from 19 to 22. They all had two things in common: Their obvious love for soccer, and the high they got from showing off their moves.

They had a right to be though, because our Community College had the best team in the state. At least it did for Division 3, which isn't very high up; but our boys were working on breaking that. They were getting petitions to move up to D2, even though few colleges have done that before.

I always did my best to ignore the team as I walked by, because I simply didn't find them deserving of my attention. Unfortunately, in my haste to escape their gazes, I didn't notice the soccer ball flying towards my head.

"Watch out!" I heard as I felt an intense force knock me to the ground. I fell onto the grass, which for any normal person wouldn't be a problem.  Except the grass was just mowed, and I have an allergy to grass; but especially freshly mowed grass. My nose gets all itchy, I can't stop sneezing, my tongue swells, my eyes turn red, and I start sweating. It's not pleasant.

I put a hand to my temple and sat up.