43 • from bad to worse

Alexandra's POV:

"India, the only way you're gonna get me to go anywhere near her is if alcohol is involved."

India told me she wanted me to go out with her & Reyna, but I didn't want to. Reyna was still being a little bitch, and I didn't wanna be around her.

"Then we'll go to a bar or something," India said. "I'm probably gonna need a few drinks myself dealing with you two."

"Or we could just leave her out, and you & I could go," I grinned.

She shook her head. "Alex, what happened between y'all?"

I sighed and leaned against the counter. I knew I'd eventually have to tell someone what happened between us.

"Two days after we found out Matt was going to Memphis, Reyna told me she was moving with him. I was like, 'are you sure you wanna do that? Y'all haven't been dating that long.' Apparently, she didn't like that I was just looking out for her because she said, and I quote, 'instead of worrying about my relationship, you need to worry about the man that doesn't even want to be with you.'  Since that day, neither of us has said a word to each other."

"Damn," India mumbled. "Well, maybe tonight she'll apologize."

I knew Reyna would never apologize because when she thought she was right, there was no telling her otherwise. She could be so stubborn.

"Mommy." Jaden came in the kitchen, with Marley trotting close behind, and wrapped his arms around me. "Do I have to go to Mrs. Johnson's house tonight?"

"Yes. I thought you liked Mrs. Johnson."

"I do." He looked up at me, resting his chin against my stomach. "But I just wanna stay home with you."

I smiled. "I promise I won't be gone too long and when I get back home, it'll be just me & you."

He smiled, showing off his little dimples, and I kissed his forehead.

--+--

"I'm sorry, Alex. I thought this would work."

I shrugged. "It's cool. I knew she'd act like this, so I'm not surprised. Don't worry about it."

The talk with Reyna didn't go well at all. She told me she didn't think she did anything wrong, then she demanded an apology from me. When I refused, she left the bar.

"So what do you wanna do now?" India asked.

I looked around for Blake, since India called him & DJ just in case things got physical, but I couldn't find him anywhere.

"I told Jaden I wouldn't be out too long, so I really just..."

I got distracted and stopped talking when this guy stopped in front of us. He was dressed in all white and judging by his demeanor, he thought he was the shit.

"I don't really talk to dark skin girls," he said with cockiness in his voice. "So you two are gonna have to prove to me why I should give you a chance."

India & I looked at each other, not exactly sure if we heard him. The fact that he fixed his mouth to say that pissed me off, and I was still mad from that talk with Reyna.

"With all due disrespect, no one asked you to come over here," I said, hoping I looked as disgusted as I sounded.

"And how can you say you don't talk to dark skin girls when you're darker than both of us put together?" India asked, visibly pissed. "Is your mama dark skin?" He nodded. "Then you need to humble yourself like your father. Get the hell outta our faces."