Chapter Two

Katniss's POV

                    Limping down the stairs I find the woman that I saw before I blacked out with Peeta making breakfast and she looks up with her blond hair in a messy bun. "W-who are you?" I ask trying to breathe in shallow breaths. "Peeta's NEW girlfriend Miss. Everdeen." She spats and I flinch at her venomous voice.

                      "Where's Peeta?" I ask and she glares. "Up in our room." That sends a pang through my heart."I'm so-" "Who did this to ya sweetheart, your husband who didn't give a crap for you... Just used you. Maybe you should be better off living with him because you are just making things harder for Peeta and I... That's what Peeta told me."

I look up at her and my lip starts trembling and then Peeta comes down, in his apron getting ready for work. "Katniss? What are you doing up." I limp quickly out of the house and he rushes after me. "Katniss! Come back!" He is running after me so I start pumping my legs and then when I take a quick breath the pain brings me to my knees.

                      He grabs my arm and I pull away. "Just leave me alone! If you thought I was a obstical in your love life you should of left me on your stoop to die! Damn you Peeta I have no one left to love!" I say as tears stream down my face and he helps me up.

                             "Who told you I said that." I was about to say Iris but she comes up and hugs Peeta kissing his lips. "Bye sweetheart, have a good day at work." She smirks at me and then I limp away to my house and slam the door, locking it so Peeta can't get in. I look at the Primroses he planted and I let tears roll down my cheeks, thinking of how I rejected him... How I shoved him away.

                                                              Two Week's later

                I go to Ripper and she smiles, brushing off her counter. The Hobb has been rebuilt and everyone is running around today. "Katniss! It's nice seeing you around." "It's nice seeing you too." I look at her stump and then she clears her throat.

                          "What do you need Katniss?" "I need ten bottles of your best liquor." She nods and sets them down as I get out my satchel. "Fifty coins." I put the lump of coins in her hand that shine in the late afternoon light. "Thank you."

                                   I grab my crutch and limp out of the Hobb. I haven't talked to Peeta or even get near him sense the issue with Iris. As I get to my house someone grabs my arm. "Let me help you there Sweetheart." "Get away!" I bark and then look up seeing Haymitch.

                            "Oh sorry Haymitch... I'm just really sore right now." I say and he glares at me. "Why do you have liquor in the satchel." I look up at him. "How do you know I have liquor?" "I cam hear the bottles clinking in there." I glare at him and sigh.

                                     "Please don't tell Peeta Haymitch." "Girl, I won't just be wise with it or you will end up like me sadly." He walks away with some geese flying into his yard for their feeding. I open the door to my house that is warmed by the fire and I walk upstairs to my room, locking the door behind me.

                I pour out the contents of my satchel and grab the first bottle and take a swig. It burns my throat and stomach like I knew it would but it eases my pain away... Of loosing the Boy With The Bread.

               Peeta's POV

                      As Iris watches TV I sit at the table doodling Katniss. I haven't seen her for two weeks... I'm starting to worry a little. "Peeta, aren't you going to watch something with me?" I look up and rub my temples. "Iris, I think you should go home, I think I'm coming down with a bug." I say making my voice raspy.

                  She stands and her green eyes look at me. "You sure? I could stay here with you." "Nah, I don't want you getting sick." She grabs her coat and kisses my cheek. "Night sweetheart." Then when she leaves I walk over to Haymitch's with a few geese begging for offerings. I find him sitting on his stoop throwing feed at them. "Haymitch, have you seen Katniss?" He sighs. "I saw her today limping back home on her crutch from the Hobb."

                   "Did she trade some things?" "Nope, bought some liquor, told me not to tell you." "Why?" "I don't know, I guess she still has feelings for ya boy... Maybe you should break up with that bitch Iris and go back to Katniss." Before I can answer I hear her agonized screams from her room. I rush down the street to her house, opening the door down.

                            I rush upstairs to her bedroom door that is locked. I kick it down and see liquor bottles all around in bed as she sobs from a nightmare. I've never seen her like this, she looks so broken. I get on her bed and wrap my arms around her frail and trembling body.

                           At first she flinches but then nestles her face into my shoulder and wraps her legs around my waist. Her breath smells of liquor and her tears make my shirt wet. "Katniss, please tell me who hurt you, I need to help you."

                            "H-he raped me." "Who sweetheart?" "G-Gale... He beats me everyday, not caring if I-I'm bruised. All he cares about is his damn job!" She snaps and sobs louder. I shush her kissing the top of her head, rocking her as she trembles harder.

                                   "What was your nightmare?" "Me, d-dying alone in Gale's house with no one to love, like I am now." I look at her in the moonlight coming in from the open window. "You can't drink your problems away Katniss, you're to strong of a person to be doing that."

                               We sit there in silence and she whispers something in my ear. "Why are you doing this for me?" "Because we protect each other." I mumble as I untie her braid.

                 Her dark curls fall down her back and she whispers in my ear again as I lay down next to her. "Real or not real, y-you love me?" I wrap my arms around her waist as she nestles her head into my chest. "Real... I'm so sorry Katniss." She coughs and laughs quietly. "So am I."

                 Comment And Vote!!! Tell me what ya think about this chap with Iris and all :p