Gwyneth of Alarien

The ship was making her tired; the rocking and the almost hymn like chorus from the sailors reminded her of drifting to sleep in her mother's arms. She drifted in and out of sleep before forcing herself to walk the upper deck for some fresh air. She had to be alert and ready. 

      Awkwardly walking the steps to the upper deck, Gwyneth concluded the turbulent sea and her weariness didn't mix well. Gripping the bars of wood serving as a railing; she emerged into open air. A weight seemed to lift off her shoulders as she inhaled the salty sea deeply. The wind whipped her long white hair as silvery eyes eyed the open ocean. Being half elfin and giant, made her appearance quite stunning. Her appearance would be described as a terrible beauty. A warrior maiden clad in worn silver armor with deep blue material peeking out between the metal garb. Her helm was tucked beneath her strong arm while the other rested on her mother's sword. 

       The sword of Wyverns, it had killed many a foe when her mother fought on the field of battle. It had once clashed against the Sword of Alarien; which happened to be her father's sword. Centuries ago, her mother and father's countries were at war. She recalled the story as if her father was telling her the encounter once more. Gwyneth remembered as he described how astounded he was when he eventually over powered the agile warrior and removed its helm. Only to find a beautiful face staring up at him. He couldn't land the final blow as the fiery elfin maid demanded he slay her like a true prince of Giants. Her strength showed that day as she stared possible death in the face. The war ended in a truce and to keep the alliance strong, her mother agreed to marry him, the foolish prince of Giants (he had described himself that way many a time). Their souls became one. Wherever he went, she would be at his side. Their love and trust in one another was the strength of the country. When the King had passed, Queen Calista Revanna blessed her children with strength and wisdom to rule the country as they did; before fading into the light with the King.

     Gwyneth was angered once more as she remembered how her kin was corrupted over time and turned their backs on the teachings their mother and father had bestowed on them. Her eyes darkened. Her goal was not going to be an easy one and part of her feared her siblings would still attempt to execute her.

A rough voice broke her train of thought. '' My Lady.''

Gwyneth met his eyes. ''Yes, Ser Danith?''

Ser Danith was a young man, no more than twenty who was rescued by her as a small child. His father was selling him to strangers for servant work or pleasure; his future was very bleak at a mere eight years old. Gwyneth discovered the corruption when she was offered the boy by his own father. He was executed immediately and she took the child in. Taking pity on this young boy, she taught him swordplay and to read. He advanced quite quickly and was now a knight at her side.

''We are almost to our destination.'' He hesitated and she caught it immediately.

''I prefer you speak your mind, Ser.'' She stared with those deep set silvery eyes.

''Must you go to this land? It is a lost cause.'' He still seemed a tad nervous.

''Yes, Danith, my child,'' She was so much older than him even though she didn't appear so. It never struck him as odd, it was the way things were and he respected her like a mother. '' We must see why the silence of my old kingdom has stretched far and wide.'' She didn't wish to speak of the White Raven.

He gloomily stared out at the distant land, nothing but a black lump on the horizon against the dark seas and the green tinted sky.

The entire crew had a grim look on their faces. The place has been known to be cursed, corrupted by the feuding siblings. Gwyneth had to get over her worries. Strong like her mother and father, she had to stare death in the face as well.

**************

     They docked at a small ruin. What once was a port of great trade, it now lied in desolation. Statues honoring the ancestors seemed to be weeping as the rain poured from overhead. They expressed every bit of sorrow that she felt. Stepping off the ship, she felt her knees want to give. She braced herself on the vine covered wall and watched Ser Danith unload their packs. Thunder clapped overhead as lightning tore the sky with the fury of a dragon.

   Once recovered, she toom up her pack and bid the crew farewell. They seemed in a hurry to get as far away from here as possible. Ser Danith stood beside as they watched the ship depart.

''It will be long a journey.'' He muttered.

''Yes it will be, ser.'' She stared at the ship growing smaller in the distance.

Her eyes widened in horror as she watched the ship suddenly get enveloped by a sea beast. The creatures was a monstrous titan. The face of a snake with fins unfolding behind its head to give a shrill shriek. It dove down, cutting the ship in half and allowing its children to feast on the victims. She cried out in grief as the ship was destroyed as quickly as it left. Ser Danith froze, completely in shock of how rapidly it happened. Gwyneth trembled and felt her heart sink. ''They know.'' She whispered, turning her back on the screams, her eyes darkening. ''My kin know I have arrived.''

Ser Danith was still in shock as she grabbed his shoulder, dragging him into the ruined port. ''We cannot help them now. I've no power strong enough.'' She gritted her teeth. ''My guess is that is my brother, Eldra the Beast-Tamer.'' 

Ser Danith looked up fearfully. ''Beast-tamer?'' 

She nodded and led them down a cobbled pathway. Evidence of what once was a thriving marketplace was now a heap of rubble. ''I used to roam the port as a youth.'' She recalled wistfully. ''How I loved the ocean front and her endless tides.'' She closed her eyes, smothering painful memories as she took a deep breath. ''We should rest for the night.''

Ser Danith followed nervously, his hand on the hilt of his sword. She led him by many decayed corpses and buildings. It was so tragic that he could nearly feel the pain in Gwyneth's heart. Ducking beneath a fallen beam, the duo sheltered in what once was a bakery. 

''Get some rest, Danith. I will keep watch until it is time for your post.'' Danith agreed and was fast asleep in his bedroll. 

Gwyneth stared out the window, half hidden as the storms roared overhead. She felt a little nervous. If her brother, the second eldest, knew of her arrival; surely he would be sending some sort of troop to find her. 

In the silence she wondered where her White Raven met his death. Feeling sick to her stomach, she hoped it was quick and noble. She loathed the thought of him suffering greatly at the hands of her kin. Tears filled her eyes as she gripped her sword. Her love; torn apart by the sea beast or ended by the cold blade. She blinked away the tears, finding her heart aching for his touch. Warm and gentle, assuring her that he would be there for her, always. ''I'll find them all. I'll make them answer. I do this for you, Dravin.'' She whispered gently. ''Dravin, my White Raven.''