The Madness of Life

Billy and Emily's lives hung in the balance.

Sam and the others freaked out when they found out that Taha Aki discovered what they did to Leah and he decided to punish them for it. They did not know what to do with Leah at all.

Old Quil said, "Well, if you hadn't kicked her out, then none of this would be happening! Their blood is on your hands!"

He didn't stop, but continued to scold everyone in the waiting room until Quil Junior stood up and said, "I'll get him home; it's 5:00 and he becomes cranky at 5:00. Keep me posted, ok?"

"Very well," Sam frowned as he watched Quil and his grandfather leave. He knew that it was time for an overdue assessment of himself. Leah was still angry with him, and he had turned their children and everyone else against her.

For once in his life, Sam Uley was unsure of himself.

*****

Jasper frowned as he stood in his place beside Aro. He was wishing that he could be anywhere but the throne room. Aro had called for a meeting with the guards to discuss the future of their world.

"Something is missing," said Aro as he stared at the guards, "but I don't know what it is."

"Why do you suggest this?" said Alec. "There's nothing wrong here."

"I do know that there are bad things that are happening. The world has been thrown out of balance. There is great suffering in the streets. Children have no food or home or hope, and many of them die due to various abuses and whatnot."

"I believe that we should go back to our roots," said Caius. "Once we were the feared monsters of the night. Now we've been turned into something of a laughingstock. I despise any human who dares make fun of me!"

"So let us go back to our old ways, when we ate only the poorest of humans," said Marcus. "They won't be missed at all. We have the largest coven in the vampire world and who would care if a poor person went missing?"

"I don't like that idea, but we happen to have over 300 members here," said Aro, "and not everyone wishes to drink those who have been bad. So once a week, or however often you feed, please bring back any human who exhibits any vampire-like behavior. I will have them turned at once."

"What of the children?" asked Jane.

"We do not create any immortal child, but in case said child displays such tendencies, we shall send them to the wives," said Aro.

Jasper frowned as he headed back to his room. He could not believe that Aro had suggested that they revert to their earlier primitive vampire ways. But on one hand, it would curb the world population some, but then again, it reminded him of his wasted years with Maria.

He reached his rooms and saw Jacquelyn speaking to the snakes. All three seemed to be discussing something rather important, or they would have seen him.

Jasper sat in a chair and thought about what he would do next. He wasn't about to just eat humans randomly like everyone else; his talent of reading/manipulating emotions would not allow him to do that. But a vampire had to feed.

And if he had to find an alternative to humans, so be it.