Spellbound

Jacquel, Gus, and Minerva had everything set up for tonight. They knew that after tonight, there was no going back for them at all.

No one suspected that a girl and two snakes were rushing about the place; not when everyone was beginning to worry about the riots that were taking place in Volterra.

Aro hated riots, as riots often led to violence and unnecessary deaths. But he knew that vampires and werewolves would get involved whenever a riot happened and that too led to many unnecessary deaths.

He, Caius, and Marcus went outside to the courtyard to address the people. There had been rumors of food shortage and people hoarding food when they could be sharing with other people. Several people saw them and said, "Look, the Volturi have come!"

"Help us, Lord Aro!" cried several people. "Our children are starving and no one is giving us food to feed them!"

Caius said, "This is a bad idea, Aro. Things can escalate into violence."

"We has weathered worse, Caius," said Marcus.

"We want bread!" yelled a woman.

"Bread!" chanted several others.

"Well, if you want bread so much, then go find the people who are stingy and hide food in their own cabinets and take the food away from them," Caius snapped in anger. "I'm sure they won't mind at all."

"Indeed," said Marcus as they watched the crowd plow into several huge houses and restaurants and fighting with people for food. Aro shook his head and Caius said, "I could see it in their eyes. They wanted a riot, so I gave them a riot. There's nothing for it."

"We must leave now," said Aro. "The longer we stay out in this crowd, the dangerous it becomes." The old vampires quickly retreated into the castle with a small group of people following them.

*****

"This is bad, Miss Camille," said the driver of the cab that was taking her and Caroline to their hotel. "We must turn back now."

"A riot?" said Camille. She had seen riots in her youth, but thought that the people were stupid for being poor. She remembered her father and his men killing scores of people during these riots. That was, until he was found guilty of murder and hung when she was 10 years old.

She shook her head and said, "No matter. Run them over. It's their fault that they were poor." The driver frowned, but pressed forward. There was no arguing with Camille Von Melliskold. Once she made her decision, you had no choice but to go along with it. No arguing. No moral discussion. Camille's orders had to be obeyed no matter what.

Very soon, several people were being struck down by Camille's car. The moment that a small child had just barely missed being hit by the car, the crowd rounded on them. Camille frowned and said, "They're just people. I place a curse of death upon them if they should touch me."

Just then, the driver said, "We must leave now, Miss, Camille! Things are getting worse here!" Camille nodded, then turned to Caroline and her nanny, saying, "We must stick together. Take these knives and slit the throats of any who dare to touch you." She handed them knives and they jumped from the car and began running.

"Get the witch!" screamed a woman. "She almost ran over my son!"

"Catch her! Kill her!" yelled the crowd.

Camille frowned, remembering that the moment that her crime against the Cullen family had been exposed, the crowd tried to kill her. She placed a death curse on them and several of them fled. Many more died trying to prevent her escape.