Chapter 5

The car ride on the way to Tom’s house in London is a quiet one.  It takes us about an hour.  I honestly couldn’t take another moment of staring out the window, so when the car finally rolls to a stop in a long driveway, I am glad.  I’m the first one out of the car, stretching my cramped legs.  I look around at the estate.  It’s beautiful, not close to a mansion, just a house a bit bigger than most.  His garden is spectacular.  I notice an enormous birdhouse, made to look like a castle.  Tom spots me looking at it and says, “Jo had one made for all of the actors of Harry Potter.  It’s an exact replica of Hogwarts.”  I know the name Harry Potter.  I never got to see the last few movies after my life took me to the streets.

                There is a grey smart-car parked further up the driveway.  Tom says, “Ah!  Kathy is here.  Good.”  I vaguely wonder at who Kathy is, but decide I don’t really care.

                Tom pulls out a set of keys from his pocket and slips one into the lock on the front door.  It clicks satisfyingly and Tom pushes the door open.  We walk in and I smile.  Tom has decorated his house with a retro theme.  I spot an old pinball machine in the far corner.  The house smells good, like cookies and some sort of spice.  I realize that it smells like Tom had on the airplane, when I slept on his shoulder.

                “Kathy?”  Tom calls out, making me jump.  He laughs a little under his breath, and then continues, “There’s someone I want you to meet!”

                A minute later a portly woman makes her way down the steps to our right.  I notice how grand the staircase is.  It looks right out of a fairytale.  Kathy extends her hand to me. “I’m the housekeeper, Kathy.”  She says, smiling.

                I take her hand and smile, saying, “I’m Rain.  It’s a pleasure to meet you.”  As I say it, the reason behind my name pops into my head.  It was raining the day my parents met.  My father extended his umbrella to my mother, saving her from getting soaked.  From then on, rain was both of their favorite weather.

                I snap out of my reverie in time to hear Tom say, “She’s my girlfriend.”  His words make my stomach flip, even though I know it’s just pretend.

                Kathy shows me to my room, Tom following close behind.  He says it’s a guest room that he had fixed up for me, and apologizes for how plain it is.  When I go inside though, I have no idea what he means.  The room has emerald green wallpaper with delicate silver vines painted over it.  A four poster bed rests in one corner, and a faded blue desk sits under a window with a perfect view of the front garden.  A door leads into a private bathroom.  A smile plays on my lips, and I turn to see Tom, who is standing in the doorway, smiling too.  Tom comes in, and with a secretive smile, pushes on a strip of wall which swings open to reveal a small stone spiral staircase.  He starts climbing, and motions for me to follow.  I do, letting the door swing shut behind me.

Author's note:  Hey readers!  Just FYI, I changed my main character's name from Iris to Rain.  Also changed the housekeeper to Kathy, if you read the earlier publication.  Didn't want anyone to be confused.  Thanks for reading!