IX

Riley was dressed in black, having cried into her fathers shoulder until she had no tears. And now, staring at a cassette of a now useless body because everything she was had died with her, Riley was almost angry. But she brushed those feelings aside to make sure that everyone knew had once been. Topanga, Shawn, Cory, Riley, and Katy were to speak in that order. No one let Kermit speak, but they did let him come and he wept in the back. Lucas and Farkle didn't speak. They couldn't find words.
"Maya was the most sarcastic girl I knew, but she was clever and brave. Impressed me everyday. I was certain that she was going to make a difference in this world and every time she didn't fight for something important, I would get so frustrated because I knew what she could do. She never reached her full potential, but she did change a lot. She changed us. That is for certain." She switched with Shawn.
"I met Maya when she was twelve. She had a very very similar life to the one I had growing up. I didn't know what I was supposed to be to her. Cory was already like a father to her. I guess I was like a friend. I'm not here to just say that Maya was strong and all. She was broken. We all knew it. And in her last three months, she was already dying. She was gone. But Maya was like no one else. And we can't forget that."
"Maya grew up without a father, so I was a lot like a father. I have to agree with both of them. Maya was the strongest and most broken girl I knew at the same time. She grew up too early, far earlier then I thought, and she did change when Paul came into her life. She stopped talking most of the time, stopped eating, stopped with anything a teenage girl would really like. After what happened, they told us that she was anorexic. That breaks my heart too. I knew she was but It's hard to admit it, like my own daughter didn't believe this happened until she saw it. Riley." Riley shakily stepped up to the microphone.