Chapter 24

Song on the side............................................................................................................................................................

Chapter 24

I hadn’t slept well the night before, after talking with my dad. Our conversation had run over and over again in my head. No matter how many times he denied it, I knew my dad wanted her to stay as much as I did. I eventually forced myself to fall asleep around three in the morning and I couldn’t remember my dreams the next morning.

I met Hunter and my mom after the swim meet in the parking lot of the school.

They had seen each other for the first time since last Saturday. I could feel the tension rolling off them instantly, especially from my mother. They had sat awkwardly beside each other during the meet and barley glanced in the other’s direction. Any hope I had of her actually liking and accepting Hunter was immediately crushed.

What I wasn’t expecting was Hunter’s aunt to also be there. She had showed up with her nephew and had wished me luck. When I gave Hunter a questioning look that morning, he just shrugged and said, “She wanted to come and support you.”

Evan was at Lucas’s sister’s house and wouldn’t be back until later that afternoon and Lucas was at work so she had nothing to keep her from coming. She introduced herself to my mom and they seemed alright with each other. At first, my mom was not thrilled with the idea of meeting the guardian of the boy who had been caught with her daughter, but I saw them talking to one another in the stands and they seemed fine.

After the meet was over (our team had lost but only by a few seconds, with me having one of the fastest times), Amy suggested that we all go out to lunch. My mother politely rejected, explaining that she had a job interview. “I’m so sorry, but maybe next time? My treat,” It was bizarre, really. Seeing my mom act, well, like a mom. “But I’m sure Violet would still love to go.”

I looked up at the sound of my name. I had been running my fingers through my still wet hair from my shower I had taken and when my mom mentioned me, my fingers got caught in the tangles and I yanked without thinking, swearing under my breath when a clump of hair came loose. 

Hunter shot me a look and smirked when he saw my predicament. Amy was still talking to my mom, so he came closer to me until he was a breath’s way apart. He was wearing an old Nirvana T- shirt with a light sweater over it, hiding his stained arms. His usual jeans were torn at the knee with an ink stain blotting the left leg. His hair was windblown and his cheeks and nose were stained pink from the cold. “Having trouble?” He asked, a smile plastered on his face.

My cheeks flushed and I tried to keep some of my dignity intact as I stood up straighter, meeting his gaze. “Not at all.”

He snorted and raised his hand. “Here, let me help.” He started running his hand through my wet hair, his fingers working at the tangles.

It was a blissful feeling, having him make me feel as if we were alone instead of a busy parking lot with my mom and his aunt only a few feet away. I wanted to close my eyes and relax into his touch, but at the same time, I couldn’t keep my eyes off him as he concentrated on my hair. His gaze was light and his lips were relaxed into a small smile. His pink nose twitched as his fingers got caught on a particularly stubborn knot.

I said his name without thinking and he looked at me and right then, I wanted to kiss him. I knew it was a bad idea and I knew that if we kissed, I wouldn’t be able to handle it, but I didn’t care. I needed to feel his lips against mine and I didn’t want to wait any longer. I stood on my toes, placing a hand on his shoulder for balance and he tilted his head down at the same time I closed my eyes.