Jace's side

With all the eyes in the room focused on him, Jace began his story.

"I was so ashamed of what happened. I couldn't believe the mistake that I'd made"

At the word mistake Simon nearly pounced again but Clary stopped him with a hand on his shoulder.

"Not a mistake. It wasn't intentional but either way. I needed some time to clear my head. So I headed to the boat house in Central Park. I always go there to clear my head, ever since I moved here as a kid. Anyways I was there letting my thoughts roam and all I could think of was you Clary and how I let you down. I didn't stop myself when I should have. I have robbed you of a normal life."

"I'd hardly say that. My life hasn't been normal in a while" she said dryly.

"Yes but now you'll never be able to go to college. You won't be able to go to art school. You can't follow your dream. You won't be able to live your life. I took your life away and it was unfair of me. So I decided out there, that I needed to give you something back something you'll never forget. So I had to get something special. I didn't have it here in New York, I hid it somewhere for safekeeping. "

"What is it?" Asked Alec.

"I'm getting to that. So after my mother died, my father or Valentine kept the ring that he "gave" her when they got married. He gave it to me when I turned 10 and when I came here I hid it in a special place. That's why I was gone."

"You expect a present to make me not angry at you? You don't really know me very well Jace." Clary retorted but not with as much conviction as before.

"No I know you wouldn't want that. Clary, I want to spend the rest of my life with you whether you forgive me or not. I cannot live without you. I need you to survive. And we have been blessed with a miracle, but I have to ask for another. Clary will you marry me?" Jace said as he got down on one knee.