Chapter 7

Anne opened the door and looked at me. Her lips moved for a few seconds before her eyes widened and she stumbled back slightly, gripping the door frame to steady herself. My breath was hitched in my throat, I couldn't speak, I was too busy trying to stop the tears from falling, and by the looks of things, so was she.

"Alicia? Is that you?"

"It's me," I whispered, looking down at the ground.

She studied me again, before literally exploding.

"Why the hell did you go and run away like that?! You could have been dead and none of us would have known! I took care of you for years and then you just up and leave with no contact! You could have at least called and let us know that you were okay! Harry was in bits, Gemma went mad...and I didn't know how to comfort my little boy because you were the only one who could ever calm him down properly...where have you been?! Oh my God!"

She threw her arms around me and sobbed into my shoulder. So she'd just had a massive go at me, flailing her arms and getting red in the face, and now she was squeezing my tightly. I didn't quite understand the woman. Robin had obviously heard the commotion as he was now stood in the hall, his mouth open.

"Hi Rob," I winced, as Anne let out a particularly loud cry.

He nodded in response, clearly not too sure what to say.

"Alicia, what are you doing here?" sniffed Anne, peeling herself off of me. "You shouldn't be here tonight, Harry is coming, he'll be here soon!"

"I know."

"How?" she asked, shocked.

I told her the cliffnotes version of what had happened to me recently. I left out the part about how I'd seen Harry and about the girls. I decided she needed to see them before I told her. Her mouth fell open as I told her my situation and now both her and Robin resembled fish.

"I've got something else to tell you as well," I told them, beginning a walk back to the car, beckoning them to follow.

They looked at each other before walking down the driveway after me. I stopped outside the car, the blacked out windows blocking their view from the twins.

"I need you to both keep an open mind...you're probably going to freak out but please...don't hate me for what I'm about to show you," I stammered.

I opened the car door, pulled the seat back and moved out of the way so they could look in. Robin cursed but Anne stayed quiet, her eyes filling with even more tears. The girls were both still fast asleep, oblivious to what was going on, and at the moment, it was the best thing.

"Alicia..." stuttered Anne. "Wake them up and bring them inside. I'm not having this conversation out here."

She turned and stormed inside, Robin following her. I sighed and did as she said. The girls moaned and complained about being woken up, but cheered up considerably when they realised that we were here. They bounced up the driveway and waited for me at the front door. I could see Anne sat at the kitchen table so I ushered the girls into the room.

"Anne, this is Maddie and Ellie...girls, this is Anne, the woman that I told you about."

"It's nice to meet you," grinned Maddie.

"Are you Daddy's Mum?" asked Ellie. "Because that's what Mummy said."

"Yes I am," she smiled. "And this is Robin, my husband."

She looked up at him and he introduced himself, shock still evident in his voice. I was keeping my eyes firmly on Anne. I couldn't read her expression and it worried me. I could always tell what she was thinking before, but this was a look that I'd never seen before, and it was scaring me.