Chapter 3

Camelot! I'm here. I honestly can't believe I am really here!

Hermione was unable to contain her excitement. She surveyed the land, carefully inspecting it for anything out of the ordinary. So far, nothing. Taking advantage of the moment, she headed into the forest. Shuffling through her things, she found a dress. Her mum had bought it for her one year at a Renaissance fair, Hermione thought it would be useful to bring along.

She changed quickly, her heart pounding in pure exhilaration.  Closing her eyes, she let the smell of the forest sweep her away. At Hogwarts, it always smelled of fresh parchment,  some brewing or burning potions, or ink.

She certainly wasn't home but she didn't mind. As she traveled, she kept a solid pace, watching carefully and taking notice of all the things she saw. The castle was peeking out from just behind all of the trees.

What should she do next? This was where the real adventure would begin. Hermione sat down, burrowed in thought.

If I am not mistaken Merlin works in the castle as Prince Arthur's servant. Unless they are on a mission, Merlin should be there. Maybe if I try to get a job working in the castle, or something I'll find him easier. Should I tell him who I am? No...That will probably freak him out. Anyway, I can't believe it! Merlin is somewhere close right now! Although, there is one person I should be careful to avoid; Morgana.

A butterfly landed on a flower nearby. In the distance, she could see someone walking in her direction. She got up, show time. If she could get him to believe she belonged here in this time period then she had nothing to worry about.

Okay, relax, Hermione. You can do this. You've passed many tests before, think of this as a test as well.

 As she walked toward him she became self conscious. The man glanced at her, smiled slightly, stopping once he realized Hermione meant to say something to him. He was quite handsome as well, which made matters worse.

"Excuse me, sir, but I fear I have lost my way. I'm looking for a friend who works at the palace; Merlin." Hermione pauses, waiting expectantly for an answer.

The man's eyebrows crease in thought, "Merlin? If you are looking for him you are on the right path. If I may ask first, why are you looking for him?"

Of course. You can't just go trusting a random stranger...

"He is my cousin. Gaius sent me, Merlin doesn't know I am here yet." Hermione replies, hoping he didn't know Gaius all that well.

The man didn't ask anything else, instead he said, "Ask for Gwen, Lady Morgana's maid. She will be able to help you. By the way, I am Lancelot, or Sir Lancelot. What is your name, my lady?"

The Lancelot? Hermione looked him over a moment. He looks different than how I imagined. Well, duh, of course he is going to be different.

She offered him a sly grin, "Sir Lancelot. I am He-Helena."

That was close! I have to be more careful. I almost just gave myself away! Next time, I have to be ready!

Lancelot stepped forward, "Are you sure about that? You don't look so sure."

"Do you mean to mock me?" Hermione wet her lips, watching Lancelot closely. He didn't seem to think that she was being unusual.

This is a lot easier than I thought. Stop being so  nervous, Hermione. If this was a test, you would pass with flying colors.

"Absolutely not, Lady Helena." He sighs, watching her a moment, waiting for her reaction.

Hermione relaxed a little, "You must be expected somewhere and here I am keeping you away." Her cheeks became tinged with pink.

He nodded, "I must go, but good luck finding Merlin." The way he said that made Hermione slightly suspicious but she waved it off. Lancelot gave her a smile before he started to walk again.

He was only being friendly. So now to work on finding Merlin again. He said to look for Gwen...In order to find her, I will have to go to the castle. Wait. How should I go about doing that? Surely, he can't mean that. There has to be another way to find her.

The city was anything but lifeless. People drifted from one place to another. For a moment, she was temporarily reminded of her own home with her muggle parents. Some people wore the royal insignia, while others just did their own thing.

Where should I go? Over there there's a market, a blacksmith, and a st-wait! That's it! Guinevere's father is a blacksmith. Perhaps if I can find him, I can find his daughter.

Hermione's confidence boosted as she walked towards the blacksmith. A couple people were working and the other few were in deep conversation. Who should she talk to?

Well, it would be easier to talk to someone who isn't working but interrupting the people talking isn't a good way to make a good impression.  

No one noticed her even as she walked by them. Not yet anyway. She was just about to say something when she heard a voice.

"Hello? Excuse me, miss?"

She froze, inspecting the room before she found the speaker. She was a girl who did not that much older than twenty or twenty two at the oldest. She was curious but not rude.

"Hello. Sorry, I am looking for a blacksmith named Thomas. Do you know him?" Hermione was crossing her fingers behind her; something she had never felt the need to do before. Now, she felt that she needed some luck.

Smiling, she softly replied, "He is my father. What business do you have with him?"

This is Gwen? She is simple, and surprisingly, she is almost as I imagined her. She is so pretty, the natural kind of pretty, too.

"Thank Me-goodness I mean. Sorry, I cannot speak today. I am Helena, Merlin's cousin. I was told I would find Gwen by looking for her father and it looks like I did. You apparently have connections to the castle. Honestly, I need to get in contact with Gaius to find Merlin." Hermione explained, rushing a little to make sure she didn't forget anything.

"Ah, well in that case, it is nice to meet you, Helena. As you already know, I am Guinivere. Although, if you do not mind me saying, I never knew Merlin had a cousin. He doesn't talk about his family much, apart from his mother."

Feeling somewhat guilty, Hermione nods. "Doesn't surprise me. I am not even sure if he will remember me. Honestly, I am a little nervous. Nothing is planned out yet."

"I understand how you feel in some ways." She sighed. "Look, I must go now, I have work to attend to. Meet me here in a couple hours? I will make sure you see your cousin."

"Thank you."

"Oh, no worries." Gwen grabbed an empty basket, smiled, then left the room.