Escape from the Castle

Thom figured that my broken bedroom door was not that big of a deal. "They're gonna realize you’re gone eventually. A broken door is just gonna help them come to the conclusion."

His logic seems to makes sense, so I do not argue as he begins to cut at the door around the hinges. Although he brakes off a few extra slivers, he cuts nice neat blocks around the hinges. After the hinges are cut out, he takes one push and the door falls as if in surrender.

I change into one of my most comfortable grey dresses and put on my riding boots. The only other thing I pack is my bow and the few arrows left in my quiver which I sling across my back. I go out of my bedroom into the hallway where Thom is waiting.

"Coast is clear," he says, " lead the way."

Before we break out, I decide where we could probably get out of the castle best unnoticed: the throne room.

There never seemed to be anyone in there; and especially not now. My father once told me that the throne room was no more than decoration for the castle to him. There may be some guards there because of the Unknowns rebellion beginning, but I’m sure we can sneak past them. I tell Thom; he doesn’t argue.

So not making another sound, we shuffle down the hallways, stopping to make sure no maids of guards are near. Pausing to make sure no one has followed us or is coming.

The throne room is on the opposite side the great hall. You must pass through a hallway separating the walls of my parent’s bed chamber from my classroom. It is great in size with large columns holding up the stone ceiling painted with pictures from folk stories of our kingdom. The columns are the only thing interrupting the view of the hills  and kingdom outside.

Thom and I dodge the view two guards who are patrolling the entrance to the throne room. Once inside of it, we go over to the concrete patio-like walkway outside the columns.

The castle is built into a large hill. The throne room is built on the west side of the castle, as well as the downside of the hill. Past the walkway is a drop. From directly behind the throne wall, the drop is twelve feet. But on the sides rising up the hill it isn’t as far a drop.

So there we stood, Thom checking first for any patrolling guards. When he saw that the one was on the side opposite us, he jumps eight feet down to the sloped ground. His feet stumble a bit under him but he regains balance as he turns to face me.

I look down at the eight foot drop. Jumping down from this height isn’t what scares me, it is that I don’t wish to injure myself further than I might already be. I see Thom holding out his arms as ready to catch me. I feel uneasy, but must get down there before the guard comes back. I pounce off the hard stone down into Thom's waiting arms.

To say that Thom isn’t ready to feel my weight in his arms is an understatement. He collapses to the ground as I fall into his arms and on top of him. I roll off of him as soon as I get my bearings and check, 'Arms, legs, no pain, nothing broke? Lovely.' I prop myself up on my elbows.

Beside me Thom was on his back looking up, his chest rising and falling deeply. His face was red with embarrassment. I laugh at his embarrassment even thought I should be the embarrassed one. I literally was too heavy for him to catch. And he’s a blacksmith’s apprentice!

"I.. um... I'm really sorry I didn’t catch you. Um…palace life been feeding you well," he says then looks up slightly grinning.

“That really hurts Thom,” I say getting to my feet. “Maybe you should just be stronger.” I smooth my dress arrogantly.

He shakes his head and gets to his feet. I hope that we don’t go on arguing. Or is he just teasing me? Why can’t I tell? Am I really fat? Why do I care? Well, Thom is very lean. He’s strong even though I suspect he isn’t fed as well as I am; most townspeople are. I come up from my thoughts just as Thom finishes speaking.”

"...supplies. We can sneak into the shop and pack what we think we will need for the journey," He nods to himself.

“'I’ll need my sword." I say.

"You are going to need more than just a sword before this is all over.” I know what he means.

Thom leads me far around the side of the castle to the village. My disappearance won’t remain unnoticed for much longer.  

The servants would be bringing my afternoon meal. The broken door will be the first thing to clue them in. It would not take them long to realize it was broken down from the inside. A shock to no one really. Fire girl had done it again, and this time she is going to get herself killed.

Once out of the crop field, we were near to the village. Still concerned about guards we creep behind the buildings until we come to the blacksmith's shop. Thom tells me in a hushed voice to wait where I am. He walked into the shop casually and calls out, “Dad? Hey dad?"

I have mini heart attack as I hear this. What on earth is he doing? Is he asking for help?

After a moment of waiting, Thom pokes his head out the door and says, "Come on."

I hesitantly proceed into the shop. The back room of the shop is the same as the day I’d gotten my sword. I am expecting to go into the shop area, but Thom leads me to a deep into the back room. He stops at a shelf covered in swords, knives, and a few rare shields. I see my sword among them and tie its sheath around my waist.

Thom takes a knife from the shelf and tosses it to me. “Take one of these.”

I catch it and examine it. The blade looks new and unused. “Will your dad mind us using these?” I ask.

“They are used for a good purpose. He won’t mind once we get them back.” I don’t argue with his logic even though it does seem a little messed up.

The knife sheath I store in my boot, where it will be easy to access. Thom straps on his sword and takes two knives. Eventually, he looks up at me; the look in his eyes saying he’s ready.

Taking in a sharp breath I realize, this is it. We are going into the forest to find my family. The reality of the situation hits me. When Thom broke me out of my room, I just wanted to get to my family. I hadn’t thought it out or set up a plot. My recklessness could end this all. I have to stick with Thom, because though I hate to admit it I can’t make it without him.

Because in this real world the Unknowns are out beyond the forest, no doubt aware that I am gone, with my family held captive. Are they searching for me? Are the soldiers from the castle doing the same? As the thoughts flood my mind, the worry sinks in.

Thoms' voice rings through the worry as he asks, " Are you ready?"

I look to him. He seems strong, steady, and able, like he’s trained for this. It is insulting and unfair for me to stand here worrying.

"Let's go," I say. I turn on my heel and head out the back door. I am sure I see Thom side grin as he follows me out.

We go to the bakery to get some food for our journey. Thom had taken some money from the shop before we had left. I keep my hood pulled low over my face, to keep the baker from seeing my face. If he recognizes me we will be caught. Thom notices and does the same.

"What are ya needing all this for?" ask the baker, as he hands us the burlap sack of our food.

"Never you mind," Thom says gruffly, steering me out the door. I can feel the baker's gaze following us all the way out.

We return to the blacksmith shop to reach the forest behind it. The same one I was carried out from by guards. From there we begin our journey to save my family. The last thought that crosses my mind before reaching the cover of trees is, "How on earth are we going to do this?"