Chapter Two, The Meeting in the Park

As his eyes adjusted to the dim light, he realised it was a large, shaggy black dog, that was just outside his range of vision, but now it was slowly making its way towards Harry. "Hey, there it's all right I'm not going to hurt you." Harry called calmly to the dog. The dog made its way towards Harry, until it was right in front of him. Harry cautiously reached out his hand to stroke the dog, when the dog did nothing; Harry started scratching the dog's ears, the dog barked happily, and then started licking Harry's fingers, making him laugh for the first time in ages or perhaps years.

After the dog had finished licking Harry's fingers, Harry looked at the dog to see that its fur was all matted. "Don't you have anywhere to go either?" Harry asked the dog. The dog then gave Harry what looked like to Harry at least, a concerned and confused look. "I ran away from my aunt and uncle's house." Harry said shivering. He then opened the old rucksack, and pulled out his old and ragged blanket and wrapped it around his shoulders in hope it would warm him up, even if only a little, but to no avail.

The look on the dog's face proceeded to deepen, which confused Harry but he was happy to have someone to talk to, that didn't shout at him or hit him, even if it was a dog. "I ran away because of my uncle, he hates me, and he h-h-hit me 'cause I had accidently broken Dudley's favourite remote-control car. I didn't mean to I got mad at Dudley 'cause he kept hitting me, so I shouted at him, then the car broke. Aunt Petunia came in and shouted at me and hit me over the head, and locked me in the cupboard under the stairs, with a promise that she was going to tell Uncle Vernon. I told her I was sorry and I wouldn't do it again, but she didn't believe me.

Then uncle Vernon came home he was so mad, it was scary I told him I was sorry and he didn't listen, and said I was a freak, then he..." Harry trailed off with tears rolling down his face. The dog then looked at the crying boy in front of it that looked hardly older than four years old. The dog's body and limbs started to lengthen and Harry sat looking at the dog in shock. But the dog was not there anymore, instead was a very skinny man, with dirty robes, haunted grey eyes and shoulder length, and matted black hair. Harry was so shocked, he had just seen a dog turn into man right in front of him, maybe uncle Vernon and aunt Petunia were right maybe he was a freak, no, there was no maybe about it, he was a freak.

As he stared at the gaunt-faced man, the shock started to wear off and instead it was replaced by fear. Harry quickly got up of the swing, to quickly that he lost his balance and stumbled, the man with the gaunt face caught Harry before he fell, Harry winced as the man touched just before his shoulder and the man let go. Harry picked up his rucksack and started to back away from the man. "Harry, wait." The man called. Harry froze where he stood, shocked that this stranger knew his name, as he didn't tell the dog his name.

"H-How d-do y-you k-know m-my n-name?" Harry hesitantly asked the stranger fear shinning brightly in his emerald eyes.
"Yes, Harry. I know your name because I'm your Godfather." The man replied. Harry stared at the man in shock; he had a Godfather, why didn't his aunt or uncle tell him.
"I-I have a-a Godfather." Harry stammered. "Aunt Petunia and uncle Vernon didn't tell me, they are my only family since mummy and daddy died in that car crash, when I was a baby 'cause daddy was driving when he was drunk, and I-I ended up with this weird scar." Harry said, showing the man his lightning-bolt scar.