Chapter 9

Song for the Chapter: Airplanes by 5SOS (such bby's)

--

--4 Years Ago - Luke's Point of View--

I sat around in the cemetery, waiting for the arrival of my boyfriend - Sam. I thought I was hallucinating five weeks ago when I went to see his grave and there he was; watching over me. "Luke," I hear and turn around to see the dark green eyes of my former boyfriend, he didn't look like I remembered five weeks ago. His skin was darker, his eyes brighter, and bloodied face gone. The injuries from the car crash disappeared.

"You look different." I pointed out.

"That's because I am alive again." He smiles, looking down at his hands and non-transparent body.

I look at him curiously, wondering what he meant by that. "You were already brought back to life." I told him, confused.

"But I can leave the perimeter of the cemetery now. I accidentally scraped my arm on a tree and I bled, and it hurt. Luke, I am alive. I was given a second chance." He smiles brightly and I looked at him, unbelieving.

"But-" I try to comprehend the situation at hand, trying to think of why he would be alive. Fully. Five weeks ago we hung out six different times and he couldn't leave, he was slightly transparent, and he had injuries from his death. He looked the way he was buried. "It's.." I try again to speak but the words decided to not form.

"I don't need you anymore." He tells me, beginning to turn away from me.

"What do you mean? I thought we were in love. Sam." I try to stop him, getting up from the stone bench I was sitting on.

He gives me a loud, sarcastic, fake laugh and turns back around. "Luke we dated for a few months. You, somehow, made me come back. The first time you visited the cemetery I was brought back, and I slowly became more real. There's something about you. But I don't need it anymore. I am leaving Australia, Luke. Goodbye." He replied, walking away. I didn't say anything but looked at the ground blankly, wondering what happened. What I did. He was real, as real as me or any one person walking around on the street.

So I began walking, tears falling as I could see his silhouette beginning to get smaller and smaller; soon fading into the colourful sunset.

--Present Day - Ashton's Point of View--

Four days. Four days since I saw my grave be dug up, and I watched in awe as my Mum and Dad walked over to the pile of dirt with an empty coffin. I have been listening in on their conversation. They think my body was snatched by the people who dug me up, my understanding being that they were still in a holding cell, being questioned. I didn't want to go up to them, create any suspicion. I could no longer become transparent without a nose bleed and a migraine, and I could only become invisible for less than fifteen minutes. So I hid behind a tree, listening and watching. "So that's your family?" Luke asks and I nodded.

Luke walks up to them and the pile of dirt and the empty coffin. "Who are you?" Dad asks Luke, tears obvious on his face.

"I was a friend of Ashton's." He simply responds, looking at the coffin shockingly.

"Nice to meet you, call me Mr. Irwin." Dad told him, distraught.

"What happened?" Luke questioned.

"A couple of boys dug up his grave. I thought this was behind us, we were.. moving on." Dad told Luke. My Mum didn't say anything as she covered her mouth with a sweater paw.

My heart was dropping, knowing that it was my fault. After about ten minutes, Dad pulls something recognizable out of his pocket. "I was going to put this in his coffin if his body wasn't found. But I know that Ash didn't have many friends and I appreciate you caring so much. We are leaving tomorrow, and if his body is found, can you make sure this is placed with him? It.. meant a lot to him." Dad told Luke, handing him the necklace my sister gave me.

I watched intently, knowing where my necklace went.

--

We got back to the house, and I couldn't help but feel sad and helpless. I was becoming more real as my parents were dying inside.

So later that night, when Luke when to bed and I was wide awake, for the first time feeling a bit drowsy, I snuck off to the bathroom. I grabbed my loose razors, pulling up Luke's sweatshirt sleeve. I place the corner of the razor in my arm and slice, wincing as the first sting of the razor is understood by my nervous system. I watch the blood pool in the cut and as I tilt my arm, the dark crimson liquid stains the white of the sink.

I enjoyed watching the dripping as I hid the razors back, content with the one cut. I settled down slightly, washing the blood out of the sink and cleaning my arm off.

One thing I knew for sure, despite the troubles I have gone through and the troubles others have gone through; I was alive again. Given a second chance, and I knew it was for a reason. My depression was creeping up on me and I knew I needed to enter school again if I was to have any kind of future for myself. So I went back to the room, sweatshirt covering the fresh cut on my arm, as I fell peacefully asleep.