Chapter 5

Song for the Chapter: Lost Boy by 5SOS (the fam's babies <33)

--

Monday morning, I was sat against the wall alone. I was waiting for Luke to wake up so I would have some sort of company, I still haven't gotten used to the fact that I was here. Why am I here? I killed myself to escape the world, and now I am completely trapped with no way out.

The sun was coming up and Luke's alarm begins blaring and I take a quick look at it, six o'clock. He moves the position he was in, reaching over and hitting the alarm. "School?" I ask him and he sits up abruptly in his bed.

"You're still here?" He asks me, completely and obviously bewildered.

"I have no where else to go and I wasn't really tired." I shrug. 

"Did you watch me sleep?"

"Yeah."

"Why?"

"Because I'm secretly a fucking stalker who lives in your room. Dimwit." I huff sarcastically. I cross my arms and look up at him. He groans and lies back in his bed, closing his eyes and covering himself back up with his covers. "Fucking people." I swear to myself as a couple minutes later he is quietly snoring. I look around his room and grab a small, empty pen holder that he had on his desk. I go to the bathroom and turn on the faucet, filling the small cup with a little splash of water.

"You need to wake up for school." I tell Luke seriously and he just waves his hand up in acknowledgment but completely uncaring of the fact. I go over to his bed and pour the water on his face and he sits up.

"You bastard!" He yells, wiping the water off his face.

"I told you that you had to wake up." I shrugged, sitting down at his desk.

"Stop fucking dictating my life." Luke mumbles to me and I give him a grin. 

"I should go to school with you." I tell Luke seriously. 

He looks at me blankly, obviously thinking about the idea. "Can you leave?" He asks me.

I shrug, curious. I hadn't tried actually stepping foot outside of the house yet, and I guess that would be the difference. I hated school, but I am not sure how many people could see me. Without my parents, and no clue as to their whereabouts, Luke was becoming my only friend. I never really had friends, I was the emo kid sitting alone in all of his classes with earbuds in. "I'll try." I tell Luke, leaving the room. I go downstairs silently and open the front door, stepping outside. I walk to the end of the driveway and then walk into my bedroom.

"You're back." Luke smiles, obviously knowing what had just happened.

"Shove it." I say to him with a pout, sitting back down.

Luke looks around the room and tells me, "Did you leave anything behind?"

"Meaning?"

"Well besides the photos, I have heard about spirits being bound to a certain possession, and they go with that object and can't be spiritually separated from it. If you can't tell I'm slightly a ghost fanatic, love that kind of creepy shit. Anyway, was there anything in specific you were attached to when you were alive?" He asks me with a longer than needed explanation.

*5 Years Ago*

My only sibling, Lauren, smiled up at me. I looked at her and tried tuning out the constant beating of the monitor beside her. "Stay strong." I tell her with tears flooding my eyes, as I tried holding them back. She was younger than me, and I couldn't show her that I was fragile, too.

"I got you something." She tells me, her voice croaky and weak.

She grabs the small box beside her bed and hands me it. I unwrap the paper from around it and open the small box. It was a necklace. It had a leather string with a locket with angel wings at the end of it. I smile at her and open up the locket to see a picture of Lauren and I from when she was first born. I let a couple tears fall, because everyone, including Lauren, knew that she was terminal. She had a brain tumor which was impossible to operate on.

I continue looking at the photo with a forced smile on my face. "I love you, Ash." She tells me.

"I love you, too, Lauren." I cry.

*Now*

The morning of my hanging I took the necklace off, deciding to not wear it to school. Not only was I called a fag and girly for the locket, but I didn't want to die with it on. I try to think back to where I put it, because it was the only possession I ever owned that I cared about.

"Ashton." Luke tells me and I break out of my flashback and train of thought.

"There is this necklace my sister gave me. I don't know where it is, though." I frown in disappointment. I was doomed to be trapped inside of this house as people move in and out. Luke was one day going to go to University and his parents would stay. He may come for a visit but then when his parents move out I will be left with another problem; other people moving in. "We need to find it." I tell him with a frightened tone.

"Why is it so important? I wouldn't want to go to school." Luke tells me curiously, obviously not understand the situation I was trapped in.

"I want to leave! Don't you understand? If that necklace isn't found I will have to spend the next decades of my life looking at the same room, but with different people moving in. Until, that is, they decide to fucking demolish it! Because I don't know what will happen." I rant. I always thought death was a never-ending darkness that you could never recover from. That you were gone. I never wanted to believe an afterlife because I would kill myself to escape any kind of living.

But here I was, earthbound. "Look, we'll find the necklace when I come home. Okay? But until then, please leave the room when I get dressed. I'm gay and you're attractive as fuck, but I don't want you seeing me naked. It's... weird." Luke tells me jokingly.

"You're gay?" I ask.

He nods.

"I am, too. But yeah. I'll leave. But I may see it one day and I'll enjoy every minute of it." I tease him back, not thoroughly meaning what I had just said. Luke blushes a bit and I enjoyed the redness that had appeared in his face.

"Get out, pervert." Luke tells me, a smile never leaving his face.