Arc VII - Rest

Touching artwork was done by Kira-Tsume on deviantART.

Disclaimer: Nao is the only thing that is mine.

Warning: Fighting. Death. Usual.

Beta: Kalafina94

Beta: silverseed

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Kakashi found me curled up and soaking wet by myself the following morning. The sun was shining brightly and the sky was a beautiful clear blue with lovely white fluffy clouds, but I wouldn't. couldn't. have noticed. I stared off elsewhere, my mind replaying it over and overandoverandov

"Nao."

I turned, so slowly, towards the sound and found Kakashi kneeling in front of me, his expression unreadable.

"You were scared."

I nodded slowly, wordlessly.

Kakashi closed his eye briefly before opening it again. With a small sigh, he moved to sit next to me, pressing his back against the wet wall that I was curled up against.

"It's okay to be scared," Kakashi said after a moment. "Everyone is afraid of something."

I didn't bother responding.

Kakashi glanced at me through the corner of his eye, sighing again. He shifted slightly, pulling off his Jounin jacket and placing it over me. "Stop shivering."

I didn't realize I was shivering.

"Sorry," I whispered hoarsely.

Kakashi didn't reply, he only sat back again.

A moment passed.

"I'm not any good at this stuff," Kakashi sighed. "Where's Kurenai when you need her? Or hell. Anko. well, maybe not Anko per se, but." he cleared his throat and shifted slightly. "Sometimes it's best to face your fears head on."

Another moment passed.

"That's not what I was afraid of. The storm. The ship. The ocean. I'm not afraid of those."

Kakashi turned his gaze on me. "What are you afraid of?"

"I don't know."

"You don't know."

"I don't know. I'm not afraid of the storm, but she is."

"Who?"

(Me.)

"I don't know."

"I see."

We lapsed into silence.

I shifted slightly. In a quiet voice I asked, "Can I. May I. sl. sleep?"

"I daresay you could."

"Here," I clarified. "I mean. I just. I don't want to be alone right now. I promise I'll be better when I wake up."

Kakashi turned his head, his single eye seeming almost analytical as he stared at me.

"I believe you will be, too," Kakashi said softly. "Three hours tops is the best I can give you."

"Thank you," I whispered.

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

I giggled at Chamū, who rolled lazily on his back. Hikaru sat beside me, smiling happily as Kiki ran around Chamū. After my nap with Kakashi, I awoke feeling much better than I had when I fell asleep. With many thanks, I headed off to guard duty for Hikaru. Not before I ran into Naruto, who gave me the rundown on everything that had transpired —how Hikaru risked his life to save Chamū's when the boat's violent swaying in the storm had knocked him overboard and in return, Chamū became affectionate for him and such.